Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hobart Fabco Xtreme B3
- - By aevald (*****) Date 07-20-2015 18:38
Hello folks, I thought that I had a pretty decent handle on a lot of the consumables and wires that are out there. Then I got ahold of some of this wire: it had been donated to our program by the district Miller facility out of Portland, Ore.

One of our past students had come in and told us that he was going to be testing for a company that was using an all-position 1/16" gas-shielded flux-cored wire and was hoping to hot-rod some of it before going in for his test. This is the only wire that I had on hand that somewhat fit the bill. My past experience with these higher-strength electrodes has been that they don't really run as nicely as many of the E71T-1 wires, but that if you can run the high-strength wires you'll have no trouble with the others. 

Up to now I had never run into a FCAW G wire that was run on any current other than DCEP, I have now. Looked up the specifications on this stuff and low and behold it calls out for DCEN. However, after setting it up and working with the various settings a bit I am not quite sold on it's "all-position" designation.

I am curious to hear if anyone else out there has used this particular wire and what their opinions/thoughts are on it. Also, what sort of parameters have you folks been using. I have the ranges that Hobart provides from their site, but I'm looking for some applied settings as well.

Here is the link to the Hobart page:
http://www.hobartbrothers.com/uploads/pdf/datasheets/FabcoXTREMEB3.pdf

Thanks and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-21-2015 10:00
Allan,

I have not run any of the Fabco Xtreme but have run some of the Triple 7 wire by Hobart. To me it was very similar to the Hobart XLR8(self shielded). XLR8 has a heavy slag, fast freeze, DCEN and can be finicky when filling. The XLR8 is not as high on the tensile as the Xtreme but within' 10,000ksi I believe but still only an E71 class of wire. I know on the XLR8 you don't want to weave, stringer pass only(from Hobart and Esab which has a similar wire).

I will be running some Fabshield X80 here in a few days which is also called out as an all position wire but it is listed as a "downhill" pipe wire which can be used for uphill structural since there are not a lot of products available for high strength steels in a self shielded wire, we can't use dual shield. Talking with them he stated "running uphill takes more welder skill" so I don't think it would be a wire you just want to roll out on a job and start welding with. 

I don't know the Xtreme but the characteristics of the XLR8 were that of a 6010 and a 7024 combination to me. The weld metal would freeze quickly but the puddle was not watery. The flux was heavy like the 7024, it literally would peel back and a good gust of wind would blow it off the weld as it cooled. On uphill travel the flux would almost push you up, more or less setting your speed. It was not hard to under fill if you moved to quick. After testing and practicing with it then welding some 800-900 welds with it I became quite good with it and enjoyed the simplicity of the clean up, scratch with wire sticking out of the gun and slag falls off.

I say all of that because the Hobart Triple 7 dual shield was very similar in how it ran but it is a DCEP wire though. I played around with it and ran a weave and it just didn't flow out, looked like two separate stringers in a way. The flux was very heavy like the XLR8. The appearance of the weld was just like the XLR8 as well, smooth as glass. Flux came off easily. The only difference was the voltage and wfs versus the XLR8 self shielded. Not a big difference but some in the as welded settings I was working with. The dual shield was also so much cleaner burning, less flying off burning me. But then again, I did liken the XLR8 to 6010!

I don't know if this helped any but have been plowing thru 33 pound spools like an animal in the last 4-5 weeks, probably run 250lbs of the stuff, all DCEN self shielded.

Shawn
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-21-2015 14:19
Thanks Shawn, I don't envy you in having to run all of that self-shielded wire. But, I know like anything else, once you are "forced" to use something you either get good at it or you drag up and leave (actually just kidding about that....However).

With this wire it doesn't like to go to a spray transfer like most other CO2 shielded wire that I have run, instead it likes to form balls that transfer erratically similar to when you've got solid wire and it is in globular transfer mode. Also has a somewhat watery puddle and just plain different than what I'm used to.

I'm going to have to see if David Benson is lurking and can shed any light on this stuff. Thanks for the input and comments, hope all is well with you, sounds like you're pretty busy. That's a good thing though. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-22-2015 02:50
I haven't burned any of that particular electrode, but by chance, does it contain some nickel to improve low temperature toughness? My experience is when DCEN is required, the electrode usually containes a little nickel.

Al
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 07-22-2015 16:04
Hello Al, I got a chance to look it up again and it shows:

Weld Metal Analysis 75% Ar/25% CO2
Carbon (C) 0.103
Manganese (Mn) 1.05
Silicon (Si) 0.08
Phosphorus (P) 0.007
Sulphur (S) 0.003
Chromium (Cr) 2.30
Nickel (Ni) 0.02
Molybdenum (Mo) 1.03
Tin (Sn) 0.001
Antimony (Sb) 0.004
Arsenic (As) 0.0016

I am not a metallurgist by any stretch of the word so I don't fully understand the significance of these percentages. Thank you for your comments. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-23-2015 04:11
The nickel isn't high enough to be an issue.

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 07-23-2015 04:35
Thanks, Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Hobart Fabco Xtreme B3