Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FCAW Prequalified Procedure Questions
- - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-24-2015 12:49 Edited 07-24-2015 17:07
I've been working with the local lab getting prequalified procedures in place for FCAW. I worked with them getting them in order for group 3 materials and also group 1 & 2 materials.

FCAW-self shielded
DCEN
Single V Groove with backing strip
Unlimited

Now, my WPS for the group 3 materials shows F, V, OH but I only need to be concerned with flat and vertical though as the particular work I need these for never has overhead or horizontal welds. So, no problem there.

However, my wps for group 1 & 2 materials also shows F, V, OH without horizontal. Looking at figure 3.4, my wps used the B-U2a-GF joint configuration. Talking with the CWI writing my papers you cannot have "all position" with this joint configuration and looking at figure 3.4 that appears to be correct. Once in a blue moon we have to cut a section in half in order to get around obstructions(engineer approved of course) leaving a horizontal weld, usually with a single v groove configuration. Using SMAW I am covered as far as testing(destructive) and WPS. If this blue moon occurrence should arise while I am running wire I will be in a pickle unless I just drag a stinger to the location and weld that joint with SMAW, which may be cheaper than the alternative.

I've looked over the prequalified joint configurations and many call out back gouging, not possible or even allowed in my current arena. I did notice a B-U4a-GF configuration, single bevel with a backing strip which covers all position in FCAW. I guess my mind is a little blown here.

Why is it that in FCAW with the single v groove it does not cover horizontal?

In order for me to get the horizontal position I would have to have wps and wpq, with another test, using the B-U4a-GF joint for example, correct? Because it is a different joint configuration? Now, this would still be good for CJP welds but the groove would be limited? Back to my example where the steel was cut in half, they usually use the single v groove. If this was true I still would not be able to weld that joint configuration with FCAW, correct? In order to weld that they would have to have the engineer approve a single bevel joint design, which would be covered by my wps/wpq, with FCAW, correct?

Now, if I have my original wps, B-U2a-GF, which shows F, V, OH I still have to do a 3G and 4G test correct? I believe this is correct but stranger things have been learned lately. Trying to figure out on this one how it covers both 3G and 4G. It all seemed a little more cut and dry(not really) in SMAW.

If all of this wasn't enough on my aging brain I've had to dive into API for some new venture with a guy I've worked with over the years who has been in the pipeline side for 30 years or so. Seems to be the year of the weld test in my world!

As always any information, explanation, education is greatly appreciated.

Shawn
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-25-2015 03:50
Look at the footnotes. One of the footnotes states that any SMAW joint detail can be used for GMAW and FCAW. The SMAW detail is permitted for all positions.  That should suffice.

Al
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-26-2015 21:41
Note #5, that's so weird.

So if you wrote a wps for B-U2a but for the process instead of SMAW you used FCAW then it would be prequalified for "All Position"? Of course this is only if you used R=1/4 45 degree, which is the same exact root and bevel as the B-U2a-GF for FCAW which says it is only good for F, V, OH. What the heck?? Where's the emoticon scratching his head??
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2015 21:55
That's how I take it.

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-27-2015 13:32
:lol:  :eek:
Attachment: questionsmiley.jpg (12k)
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 07-27-2015 22:23
Hahaha!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / FCAW Prequalified Procedure Questions