Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.2
- - By waqasmalik (**) Date 07-26-2015 12:11
Hi all, my question is about the table in AWS D1.2 in which minimum tensile strength requirements of different aluminum alloys is given as an acceptance criteria of tension tests for procedure qualification. When it talks about non heat treatable alloys like material # 21, 22 and 25 then it always mentions annealed alloy along with cold worked alloys. But, when it talks about heat treatable alloys like material # 23, 24 and 27 then it only mentions heat treated conditions like T62, T81, T4 etc. Why is this so?

Thanx all.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2015 18:18
Not sure I understand the question, but I will give it a try.

There are essentially two families of aluminum alloys, the heat treatable and the nonheat treatable.

The heat treatable aluminum alloys are strengthened by a heat treatment that involves heating the alloy to a "high" temperature  to alloy the alloying constituents to go into solution with the aluminum. The alloy is then quenched to produce a supersaturated solution of the aluminum and the alloying elements. The alloy is then aged, either artificially or naturally. Artificial aging involves heating the alloy to a "low" temperature which causes the super saturated elements to clump within the atomic lattice. Any mechanism that strains the lattice results in hardening and strengthening the metal.

The nonheat treatable aluminum alloys are strain hardening by cold working the alloy system. The strain hardening is accomplished by rolling the alloy by cold rolling or stretching the alloy.

Both alloy systems loose strength when they are welded. The heat treatable alloys overage when welded. Overaging, i.e., holding the  alloy at a higher temperature than the aging process, allows the alloying constituents to precipitate to the grain boundaries, thereby reducing the strength in the as-welded condition.

the strain hardened
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-26-2015 18:25
Not sure I understand the question, but I will give it a try.

There are essentially two families of aluminum alloys, the heat treatable and the nonheat treatable.

The heat treatable aluminum alloys are strengthened by a heat treatment that involves heating the alloy to a "high" temperature  to alloy the alloying constituents to go into solution with the aluminum. The alloy is then quenched to produce a supersaturated solution of the aluminum and the alloying elements. The alloy is then aged, either artificially or naturally. Artificial aging involves heating the alloy to a "low" temperature which causes the super saturated elements to clump within the atomic lattice. Any mechanism that strains the lattice results in hardening and strengthening the metal.

The nonheat treatable aluminum alloys are strain hardening by cold working the alloy system. The strain hardening is accomplished by rolling the alloy by cold rolling or stretching the alloy.

Both alloy systems loose strength when they are welded. The heat treatable alloys overage when welded. Overaging, i.e., holding the  alloy at a higher temperature than the aging process, allows the alloying constituents in the HAZ to precipitate to the grain boundaries, thereby reducing the strength in the as-welded condition.

The strain hardened alloys are "annealed" when welded. That is the benefits of strain hardening are lost in the HAZ when held at temperature during the welding process.

The degree of degradation is dependent on the particular alloy, the hardening mechanism employed, and the time at temperature. As it turns out, 6061-T6, a popular aluminum alloy is also a heat treatable alloy. when it is welded, it looses about 40% of its tensile strength and about 50% of its yield strength.

Both the heat treatable and the nonheat treatable alloys can be strengthened to different degrees, as indicated by the "T" number of the heat treatables or by the "H" numbers of the strain hardenable alloys.

The "T" numbers indicate the degree of cold work, i.e., reduction in cross section. The "H" numbers indicated the amount of hardening. 

I hope that is what you are looking for.

Al
Parent - - By waqasmalik (**) Date 07-27-2015 16:57
Thanx 803056.

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=268485;hl=welding%20aluminum%20annealed%20form

Please have a look at this link. You advised me to undergo all the testing for aluminum 2219 after PWHT because welding is carried out in an annealed form. From this i perceive that there is no need to qualify the as welded tensile strength for WPS if we are welding in an annealed form.

Does the same holds true for non heat treatable alloys? Because annealed strength is the most weakest. Nothing worse can happen than this. If yes, then why does the Table 3.2 talks about as welded strength of annealed non heat treatable alloys? Have a look at the attached snapshot. I have encircled the annealed alloys. They are existing in the table so it means we need to verify as welded tensile strength of annealed non heat treatable alloys. No annealed alloy is mentioned as i have question marked it. ( 2219-O.
Thanku
Attachment: Untitled.jpg (177k)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-27-2015 17:29
The table defines the minimum tensile strength required after welding. It doesn't matter what state of heat treat you start with, the UTS is the minimum required UTS after welding.

Any PWHT that will be performed after welding is not addressed by this standard (as far as I remember). Generally, if the weldment is to be subjected to PWHT after welding, the WPS must be qualified with the same PWHT proposed to determine what the actual UTS will be. In any event, it should be an improvement over the UTS listed by the table.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By waqasmalik (**) Date 07-27-2015 18:33
Thanx 803056 as always. Actually i am comparing  D1.1,  ASME section 9 and AWS D1.2 in terms of requirements pertaining to WPS and WPQ. I shall make a presentation of all the similarities and differences. Just for my own understanding.  I find it quite interesting as a beginner.
Parent - By waqasmalik (**) Date 07-28-2015 14:10

I looked in Table 3.1 of AWS D1.2/2003. PWHT is not listed as an essential variable, it means it is of no concern from mechanical properties point of view. Then why should i undergo all the testing in after PWHT? PWHT is an essential variable in ASME sextion XI. Why it is not here? Is there some practical reason?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / AWS D1.2