Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to UT in Corner Weld Joint
- - By Sambuddha (*) Date 07-28-2015 11:11
I have do perform UT in a rectengular Header Box having full penetration joint. How to do UT on this
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-28-2015 15:01
What code, what material, what weld, what joint configuration ad nauseam... not enough details to even hazard a guess.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 07-28-2015 16:34
Don'f forget material THICKNESS.
Parent - - By Sambuddha (*) Date 07-29-2015 10:51
Thickness
Tube Sheet/Plug Sheet 40mm
Top/Bottom Plate           32mm
End Plates                      25mm
Joint Design as per Appendix 28 ASME Sec VIII Div 1 2013
Root Gap 3mm
Root Face 2mm
Angle 60 Degree
Dimension Inside
2500mm( L) x 100mm (W) x 305mm( H)
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 07-29-2015 20:29
Your Level III should have this doped out in your written procedure.

No procedure? Get one.

Al
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 07-31-2015 16:37
That was considerably more polite than I was inclined to respond with.
Parent - - By Sambuddha (*) Date 08-04-2015 10:10
In this code of construction RT can not be done as per the code requierement.So I have to go for UT ,But even after preparing calibration block as per the actual job,in the job  about from top and bottom plate full  UT cannot be performed.

I really need your expertiese to perform the same.
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-04-2015 11:57
I am not as well mannered as Al... Probably why he makes the big dollars... So I'll just answer in the best way I know how.

1) Your level III should have this worked out. Procedure development should have already covered the bases your requesting get covered here.
2) If you are the level III, you've already went off the rails. It's not possible to have made a calibration block without first having developed a valid scan plan for something like this. A valid scan plan will detail full coverage and how it is to be obtained. It will also detail sensitivity levels, the nature of reflectors required, angles, etc. You don't have a cal block, you have a boat anchor without having addressed the aforementioned information first.
3) You've mentioned Section VIII for joint design. We can only 'assume' your work is to be compliant to ASME Section VIII Div 1.
4) We have seen no drawing. I for one won't even attempt a guess without seeing it.
5) Even though I've developed corner joint UT procedures in various configurations, it wasn't run of the mill pipe or plate UT. It was a lot of painstaking work. Work I got, and usually get paid for. Even if I were so inclined to digress into altruistic help a brother out mode, it wouldn't help you. You could send all the great and wondermous details, a complete 'theoretical' model developed, ad nauseam, but without the expertise and vision on the ground to implement it, it would do more harm than good when the third party ANI, IACS, etc turned their experts on it. It won't take long for them to ferret out that it didn't come from you.

My advice is to stop while your ahead. Contract it out to someone who can do it (other than me).
Parent - By Sambuddha (*) Date 08-05-2015 06:16
Thanks for the advise
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / How to UT in Corner Weld Joint