Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Logging hours for NDT
- - By marktski (**) Date 07-28-2015 17:44
To log hours as a level I NDT tech towards level II LPT certification, does the level II in charge need to be present?
Can the level I do the work unsupervised, or does the level II need to be there? Another way of posing it, is can a
1st shift level II log the hours of a level I on 2nd shift.

Can an "outside contractor level II"  log the hours of an employee of another company.

This is for API code work
Parent - By Bill M (***) Date 08-03-2015 15:41
The SNT-TC-1a document requires that your employer shall have a written practice for the control and administration of NDT personnel training, examination, and certification. 
Your questions are really dependent on what your employers written practice holds.
Parent - - By Daryl Peterson Date 08-03-2015 17:19
A level I (or Trainee) may keep a log of their hours (Job # and specifics are helpful). Per SNT-TC-1A, the companies Written Practice shall state what the NDT Level 1 responsibilities are. (SNT-TC-1A recommends that Level 1's should be qualified to properly perform specific calibrations, specific NDT, and specific evaluations for acceptance or rejection determinations to written instructions and to record the results. The Level I should receive the necessary instruction and supervision from a certified Level II or III individual. (SNT-TC-1A 4.3.1)

It is normally the job of the Level III to verify and document the NDT hours. Maintaining a log book with job #'s and hours will help the Level III verify and document the hours.

CP-189 has a good form for documenting an employees experience in Appendix C "Sample Certification Form"
Parent - - By marktski (**) Date 08-03-2015 17:36
Can the level II or III be an outside contractor that checks in several times a week, or must he be on premises?
Is there a work continuity section like ASME welding that if the tech does not use MPT for 7 months his log is wiped
clean?
Thanks to both of you for the input, it is GREATLY appreciated.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 08-03-2015 19:01
mark,
There is no requirement for how you do it. Address it as you will in your Written Practice (though you don't even need to do that)and then follow that.
Just keep in mind, you will need to get it passed an auditor, so being lenient upon yourself is fine, but there is a limit.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-03-2015 21:20
Your written practice should detail those particulars. Are you attempting to write it?
Keep in mind SNT-TC-1A is a list of recommendations. Should does not = shall, recommend does not = will.

As to your question, the correct verbiage is 'outside agency'. Also remember a written practice is only one part of a QA program.
As JS55 mentioned, if your performing code work, your likely doing so under a QA program. That invokes a host of issues, not least of which is many countries insert their own laws and rules that are above and beyond your QA program. Auditors/third parties will be around to assure you comply.

TC1A may be a recommended practice, but those additional requirements must be covered.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-05-2015 01:04
Slightly off topic to your question, but if you are creative you could log hours for more than one method with only slightly more time required. For example a Level I could perform a VT, a dry MT followed by a PT on the same weld or group of welds.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Logging hours for NDT