Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Entry level CWI pay rate in Michigan
- - By magr078 Date 08-04-2015 22:09
How can I find out the pay rate for an entry level CWI? The owner of the company I work for asked me to do some pay rate research now that I got my CWI certification so we can discuss my new salary...needless to say, I'm being very cautious because I want the most money I can get but I do not have previous experience as a CWI, I currently work as the company's welding engineer and as such I oversee the entire company's welding operation, in addition to welding machine maintenance (40 machines total!) and about 25 welder recruiting, training, record keeping and now, certification... I've been working there for 11 years and we a core Caterpillar supplier with manual and robotic welding capabilities. Any help will be much appreciated.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-05-2015 12:15 Edited 08-05-2015 12:18
Interesting question.   And Welcome to the Forum

My first thought is that a "welding engineer" with 11 years seniority and experience would far out earn a freshly branded CWI.

Your value is what the market will pay for a welding engineer in your region.

These days, a lot of people would say to sell yourself by what you have proven via accomplishment.  

Let's say over the last 5 years you have done some great things in support of your client (Cat)

1.  You reduced rejects by 20% in 2014 by implementing seam tracking on your automated systems

2.  You increased arc on time from 20-29% in manual workstations last year by improving part fixturing

3.  You led 4 lean/kaisan events that changed part flow in a way that eliminated WIP in 14 shop floor locations and thereby reducing overall manufacturing cost by ($X)

4.  Your welder training has improved UT first pass yield by 5% saving 1500 hours in repair and patch work last year.

These are examples that have greater meaning for a person in your shoes in my opinion...

If the other players in your region knew there was a welding engineer on the market with not just the credential/degree/certs, but a guy who actually has a measured track record of success?   That commands some cash.

The CWI is a GREAT accomplishment and they should throw you a bone for sure....   But you may find when you do an analysis on your personal ROI, that you are quite the valuable person indeed....  If your boss does not notice and accept this... Maybe somebody else will :)
Parent - By dick (**) Date 08-06-2015 04:22
I agree with what Lawrence said, if you were involved in any improvements of those natures, the owner of the company is truly lucky to have you. Pay increase would kinda depend on, who foot the bill for exam/seminar don't you think? Regardless a great accomplishment.
congrats & welcome to the forum
Dick
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-06-2015 13:58
magr,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Even with the info you gave us there are so many things that figure into wage packages.  We cannot even begin to truly give you an idea that you could hang your hat on.

Having said that, as the others have said, depending upon who footed the bill for the exams and maybe if the employer was mandating the accomplishment of the course or you just chose to get it for your resume and knowledge then they should throw you some form of raise but I wouldn't EXPECT a large raise.  Your other credentials and track record should pretty well speak for itself.

If you got a couple of bucks per hour extra out of it I would consider that as beneficial until one had proved there were other increased benefits to your abilities and the companies bottom line because of the new cert.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-06-2015 18:17
One suggestion would be to call a few of your local inspection service companies and see what they would charge you to send out a CWI , then go to your superiors with that. Let them see how much $$ you are saving the company by not having to hire out these services.
Parent - - By magr078 Date 08-06-2015 22:53
I understand that everyone's situation is different, so are the pay rates. I'm just trying to get as many opinions from different sources as possible in order to make the most educated decision...I found this report about the average salary for a CWI if anyone is interested, thanks to everybody for taking the time to answer my questions.

http://www.payscale.com/research/US/Certification=Certified_Welding_Inspector_(CWI)/Hourly_Rate
Parent - - By jarsanb (***) Date 08-07-2015 15:13
The pay rates vary significantly, as you are aware. This report is fairly accurate in relation to my experiences. I also work in Michigan. The Great Lakes Region is listed on page 21 of the file.

http://www.pqndt.com/NDT-Salary-Survey/PQNDT-2014-Salary-Survey.pdf
Parent - By Stringer (***) Date 08-08-2015 00:27
I don't mind numbers. How about 36 an hour with some matching 401k funds (3% is minimum match) and throw in two week paid vacation, and certainly fully paid health care plan for your family with supplemental so all you pay is the co-pay (this is huge). I think 5k bonus if you don't suck.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Entry level CWI pay rate in Michigan