Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PJP Aluminum cracking with photos!
- - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 08-07-2015 16:46 Edited 08-07-2015 17:01
So we are working with a company that is trying to make this weld work.  They have not asked for any suggestions but I thought I would leave this here for comments.  I think improper fit up and uncontrolled warping are leading to some stress causing these splits and cracks.  Just wanted some opinions from you all on ways to get this working.  They insist that acid cleaning and NOT using a stainless wire brush is just fine and although the welds had a "sandy" texture it was ok.  Again, they did not ask my opinion of what to do.  They tried to change the groove dimensions as well and to no avail did it change the issue.

This is 6061-T6 Aluminum welded with 4043 Filler material, Dimensions are included in some of the photos.

http://imgur.com/a/kYUKx     <---------PHOTOS

Maxwell
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-07-2015 17:23
So what exactly are we looking at?

Are we seeing a piece of sheet welded to a T-shaped extrusion with a step approximately equal to the sheet thickness ?

What is the thickness of the sheet?

It looks like a poorly fit lap joint with a fillet that is attempting to join the sheet to the lower surface while at the same time tying in and filling the step on the extrusion.

Is this GTAW ?

I wonder if rather than solidification cracks, those indications may be revealing lack of fusion.
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 08-07-2015 17:33
Ok yes, It is a few slight variations of a PJP with a step cut to the thickness of the thinner sheet.  The thinner sheet is .065".  I would disregard the ''T" shape, it originally came to us a s plate with the step cut and has evolved into that over all shape from the continuous samples.  It being not a full T but is cut off right after the photo.      It is done with GTAW yes.  Im just trying to get a better approach to this.  I feel if the thinner plate was more secured and a tighter fit then it would leave less stress in that part of the fusion zone.?

J
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-09-2015 18:47
Cleaning is where I would start. Fit up would be second.

Nice photomacro andphotomicrographs by the way.

Al
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-10-2015 06:53
Very nice macros!
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / PJP Aluminum cracking with photos!