Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Prequalified?
- - By FabsForLife (*) Date 08-08-2015 01:05
On my project we are working to D1.6 and we received fabricated 36" diameter duct pipe sections with a CJP seam welds. The plate thickness is 1/4". The fabricator used an automated GMAW process welding from one side using copper backing.....they claim this is prequalified per D1.6. I don't have the latest edition but in my 1999 copy I don't see this being prequalified anywhere. Can some one enlighten me on this I'm open to tons of schooling. Thanks in advance.:grin:
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-08-2015 01:39
What year is the code of record for your project? Was the 'pipe' ordered to any particular spec/code? Was this item covered in the contract/specified? Definitely right to question as that sounds off, but if they are making the claim, request they show you. I would suggest having the answers to those questions in hand before you do.
Parent - - By FabsForLife (*) Date 08-08-2015 02:13
Well that's the vague issue the specs just say AWS D1.6 no year specified. The only thing I can see in D1.6 where CJP from one side being prequalified is using GTAW process.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 08-08-2015 09:10
In that case, it would seem you need clarification aka RFI first. Should be easy enough given 99 was initial issue and 07 a major revision.
I have 07, but don't have any errata for it, so anything I could tell you may prove wrong.
- - By subratadas Date 08-11-2015 11:40
if i weld P1/G2 TO P1/G2 and impact required. then shall i qualified for P1/G2 TO P1/G2 only ? and how ?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-11-2015 12:59
Wrong code and the wrong base metal for this thread.

The answer to your question hinges on what ASME construction code you are working to. Meeting the requirements of ASME Section IX only gets you half way to your destination.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Prequalified?