Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.3 WPS CONFUSION
- - By FabsForLife (*) Date 08-10-2015 14:15
Can anyone help me figure something out....I am needing to qualify a WPS per table 4.1 for a flare-v-groove sheet to sheet in the flat position. Qualified ranges state sheet to supporting structural member apply as well. If you look at Clause 1.5.3 and see Table 1.3 Flare-v-groove welds sheet to supporting member are restricted. I need some commentary here. Is this situation a restriction for prequalified WPS's?
Parent - - By TimGary (****) Date 08-10-2015 14:40
A Flare V Groove, sheet to sheet, PQR qualifies for flare V sheet to sheet, and flare bevel sheet to sheet and sheet to structural.
Flare V sheet to structural is restricted.
Look at the qualification range in Table 4.1 again for clarification.

Tim
Parent - - By FabsForLife (*) Date 08-10-2015 14:49
Thanks Tim for the quick response. I do see the range in Table 4.1 and the ranges listed in 4.6.3.3. But what is the restriction all about in Table 1.3 then?
Parent - By TimGary (****) Date 08-10-2015 15:58
I don't understand the need for the restriction, probably has something to do with excess heat input.
I do understand your confusion as this topic could be construed as a contradiction in the code as 4.6.3.3 does not include the same restrictions noted in Tables 4.1 and 1.3.
I opine that as the restriction is clear in tables 4.1 and 1.3, it is best practice to adhere to it.

Tim
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / D1.3 WPS CONFUSION