Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Extension Cords
- - By msharitt (**) Date 08-11-2015 19:11
This is more general shop talk than anything but here it goes. I know many here work in a shop or own one. I'm sure most here are also very careful with equipment, especially if you purchased it. That being said my shop having problems with our extension cords breaking at the female plug end. Yes much of this is due to negligence of the operator and we are working on that problem at well. The boss requires that the female plug end have the light in it to show when it's plugged in. The ones we are purchasing have the female end molded on being that there is no removing that end and sliding a rubber boot on. Also if we was to replace the ends when they break, with the light aren't much cheaper than the whole cord.

My questions is, assuming we aren't going to buy a different type/style of cord, does anyone have any old shop tricks or aftermarket products to add to a cord without removing the ends? Something to prolong the life of the cord?  Thanks.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-11-2015 23:16
New employees who care and will treat equipment like it is their own.

Brent
Parent - - By dick (**) Date 08-12-2015 00:26
Michael, first I don't believe Osha allows alterations of electric cords, and ,said cords, should have some kind of tag saying Osha approved. A few years back we eliminated all cords in the shop (due to Osha inspections of cords and logging). Might be easier to have cord on power tool replaced to adaquate length by an electrition. (osha approved cord) Plug directly to GFI and no female plug getting kicked around. Unplug and put tool away when done using.
Just another option.
Dick
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-12-2015 01:02
Brent has a good ideal but hard to accomplish now days. Air tools.

M,G.
Parent - By dick (**) Date 08-12-2015 03:11
New employees v/s air tools
I go with air tools.
Less training.
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 08-12-2015 12:40
msharitt,

I have been dinged before for not having the ground plug on the ends. (employees just being lazy and yanking from socket)
Cracks on the jacket can be repaired if done correctly, this also if if the inspector is having a good day or not.

Thanks - Jarhead1
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 08-12-2015 12:59
Jarhead1,

That lies part of our problem is the inspector. Yes they are just doing their job just like everyone else. The shop's had the same inspector for 15 years. So they inspector had the experience to know what truly goes on in a shop and he was a pretty mellow guy last year when I went through the shop with him. He mentioned some thing but for the most part said we was good to go.

We had a guy in here the other day, probably about 21 years old. He was telling me this was about his 3rd or 4th shop to ever be in period. He took the book around with him and checked everything to a "T".

Now I'm not saying that isn't his job. I think most would agree there is a chance in a large shop that someone has broke the ground off of a cord or has a cut in the insulation. It just happens in an operating shop. Guess we'll fix it for now and maybe by next inspection he will have some experience.

Thanks
- - By msharitt (**) Date 08-12-2015 12:09 Edited 08-12-2015 12:24
Thanks for all the input.

Brent, that is a very valid suggestion. I've worked hard to get where I am although I am of the younger generation. As much as I hate to say it my generation (18-25) is just flat out lazy when it comes to this industry.(Edit: I don't mean everyone is lazy that falls into this age, I know there are plenty hard working.) My boss and the man that's trained me much to get me where I am, has been doing this for 40 years. He's told me before that when he started in the 70's, that he could fire a crew at dinner Friday and have a well working crew that next Monday. Maybe it's just my region in the southeast but it's like pulling teeth it seems just to find someone who will show up to work everyday. That's my small rant on that.

I like the idea of extended cords on the grinders but sometimes we're looking at 50'

I might look into air tools. Our needle guns are already air so it would just be purchasing a grinder. Thanks again.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2015 12:17
My experience is that electric grinders suffer much of their damage when the are *not* being used.  (Unless you paid for it yourself, then they last for years)

Set on the floor, on the bench next to hot stuff, kicked, dragged, cord caught by passing object etc.

Do you have a place to put them?  

Does your shop floor work flow allow for you to build something to hang your grinders on.  

This might help both grinders and extension cords.
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 08-12-2015 12:29
Yes most people unless they buy them do not take the best care of them. That has been our biggest problem.

That is a good possibility. I've done that before, all it takes is an angle on a post to hook the guard on. I didn't think of that.

As far as cord management and keeping them from being caught. I've used them on air lines but does anyone use the retractable reels on cords?
Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-12-2015 19:36
Yes and they work great but you have to remember you get what you pay for sometime the cheapest is not aways the best.

M.G.
Parent - By grizzzly (**) Date 08-15-2015 04:28
One of the shops that I worked in had all their wire feeders and air line and power cord mounted to trolleys on swing cranes. We used tool balancers to hold everything up, (I think about 7 ½ foot off of the ground) nothing was on the ground

damm nice shop to work in.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Extension Cords