Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Rack Life of Aluminium Bare rod - AWS ER 5356
- - By mittajith (*) Date 08-12-2015 14:15
Dear All,

Good Evening!

I have a doubt regarding the rack life and the usage of Aluminium bare rod of AWS ER 5356 (AWS Type A5.10) from the manufactured date and the supplied date to the customer.

Example: Bare rod has manufactured in January 2014 and supplied to customer (with sealed packing) in June 2015 and I would like to know whether that product can be used after one year from manufacturing or after one year from the date of supply?
Can the product (sealed packing) be used after two years from manufactured date?

Is there any technical specification or standard available to support that the bare rod can be used after 2 years from manufactured date if it stored in sealed packing?

Request you to kindly clarify.

Thanks,
Ranjith
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-12-2015 16:00
Welcome to the Forum Ranjith !

I think you will find nothing time related that prohibits use of bare aluminum wire in constructional codes or specifications.

You always have the latitude to add a prohibition into your internal quality system if the work you are doing is of such a nature that you think the restriction adds security or value.

I think you will also find nothing regarding time limits as far as recommendations by the manufacturers either.

What exactly is your concern?

Do you see some sort of visible oxidation on the surface of the bare wire?

Are you having a quality problem and suspect the welding filler wire?
Parent - - By Golden Arm (*) Date 08-13-2015 18:55
He probably had some welders fail some welds or inspections that told him the wire was "old" to try and cover their own inadequacies.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-14-2015 17:35
I was thinking the same thing Golden arm
Parent - By mittajith (*) Date 08-18-2015 05:55
Dear Lawrence,

Thank you for the reply.

The exact concern from my end is product has manufactured in February 2014 and this has supplied to customer in July 2015 and as per GOST 7871-75 standard, they have mentioned that filler wire can be used for 1 year maximum from manufactured date.

As of now customer has not used the filler wire, until the product gets approved by receiving inspection team.

Thanks,
Ranjith.
Parent - - By kcd616 (***) Date 08-14-2015 18:57
I will get a huge razz for admitting this:red:
but I have sealed boxes of tig rod from 2004
my last big tig job
and have opened and used it this year
welded just fine for me
not a real test, but just my experience
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By mittajith (*) Date 08-18-2015 05:59
Dear Kent,

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Regards,
Ranjith.
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-14-2015 22:46
I would hate to tell you how old some of my alum and SS GTAW electrodes are.  Makes Kent's look like new stuff.  Always works fine for me. 

BTW, Welcome to the forum.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-15-2015 04:25
Hey Brent, if you're speaking of "old" rod, we've got a pallet, yes a pallet of ER4043 that's right at 40 years old. When I've broken these open they still have that nice shiny "new" look. Although arguably, a person should probably give them an accepted deoxidizing treatment before using them. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By mittajith (*) Date 08-18-2015 06:03
Dear Allan,

Thanks for your valuable inputs.

Regards,
Ranjith.
Parent - By mittajith (*) Date 08-18-2015 06:01
Dear Brent,

Thank you for your inputs.

Regards,
Ranjith.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Rack Life of Aluminium Bare rod - AWS ER 5356