Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UA 21 and UA 22 Acceptance Criteria?
- - By Blaster (***) Date 08-12-2015 19:25
Can anyone provide a link to the visual acceptance criteria for the UA 21 and UA 22 pipe tests?  Or provide the info?

Thanks
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-12-2015 23:34
Are you talking about United  Association pipe tests?
Parent - - By Blaster (***) Date 08-13-2015 03:18
Yes.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-13-2015 18:15
Wouldn't it be found in ASME B31.1 or B31.3?
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-14-2015 00:00
6.5 Examination of the Completed Test Assemblies
a) The ATR and Contractor Representative are responsible for conducting the final visual
examination of the completed Test Assemblies in accordance with the acceptance criteria shown
in the applicable Test Specification and ASME Section IX. Test assemblies found to be
unacceptable visually shall be rejected and shall not be released to the Independent Test Lab
for any further examinations.
b) The UA approved Independent Test Lab is responsible for performing any required nondestructive
or destructive testing in accordance with the requirements specified in the weld test
package and the current Edition of ASME Section IX.
c) The Test Lab shall prepare and certify the applicable "UA Independent Test Lab Report" for the
examination of each Test Assembly.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 08-15-2015 20:32
Thank you.  Looks like it would cost about 450 bucks to get a copy of that document from Techstreet.

What I am most interested in is the undercut allowance inside and outside, and height of reinforcement allowed.  I think I will call my local Local and ask their welding instructor about the criteria.
Parent - - By paul prill (*) Date 08-18-2015 14:21
In a nut shell the UA visual inspection requirements are, Undercut max. 1/32" inside and out, max reinforcement 1/8", inside and out. max bead width = no more than 1/8" wider than the original joint width, UA 21 and UA 22 overall bead width 7/8" max, cover must be smooth and uniform, straight without wandering, no spaces between the stringers, the stringers must overlap each other 1/3-1/2.These tests usually take 3-5 stringers to cap but 4 is the most common that I have seen over the years.The visual acceptance criteria is dictated by the UA and is above and beyond what is allowed on most gate tests, they are paying the bill for the test, they can set the bar above what the code requires. If a test site sends in a test that fails to meet the UA visual inspection requirements the x-ray tech is directed to file a report with the UA Certification dept. send the coupon to the UA and then there are penalties for the site sending in the unacceptable test.
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 08-19-2015 00:38
Thank you very much Paul.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / UA 21 and UA 22 Acceptance Criteria?