Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspect per D1.1 2010
- - By msharitt (**) Date 08-13-2015 17:00
A friend of mine came to me with a question, I want to back up my answer so I've ventured here.

He is a fitter at a local shop with a CAWI dues to lack of work experience. They don't often do code work it's just a small mom and pop place. All of their procedures are already in place from either TPI or previous in house ones. They do not have a CWI only him which is a CAWI. But as stated normally not a problem.

They currently have a contract document that states "Welding shall be visually inspected to AWS D1.1 2010". No where does it state it should be by a WI or SWI. That is all it says. I have a few questions that I feel contradict.

1. Does that mean within that contract job that any Joe blow can inspect it for as long as it conforms to D1.1? I think the contract should be more specific on clarifying but it doesn't. I don't like the thought that anyone can do what we as inspectors have worked for if it's not specific.

2. In B5.1 in table one it says that an AWI can do visual weld inspection. Or does 4.1.1 trump all duties of an AWI where it says that you need to be under direct supervisions of a WI or SWI?

I've never really looked into duties of an AIW as I've never ran into any problems. I want to make sure I tell him the correct answer within the code of ethics. Thanks
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 08-13-2015 17:45
Hello msharitt, unfortunately, if he is a CAWI he is in a rather interesting position. I believe that he cannot exercise any inspection practices without the overseeing of a CWI. If he was not a CAWI he would have more "rights/abilities" to perform inspection under the provisions of D1.1. I am pretty sure others will chime in here pretty quickly, however, I believe that I have the gist of this correct. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 08-13-2015 18:01
Thanks for the reply. That's the boat I thought he was in. It's odd how the shop supervisor has more authority to make sure it is within D1.1 than someone who has put in a little time to try to do better.
Parent - By WeldinFool (**) Date 08-13-2015 18:12
If you read AWS D1.1/2010 Clause 6.1.4.1 it basically says that if the customer or EOR does not specifically require a CWI, inspections shall be performed by a person who is deemed competent to perform these duties. To be compliant to the D1.1 standard, you do not have to be a CWI to do visual inspections (VT).
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-13-2015 22:43
Good evening Michael.

Unfortunately for your friend, Allan and WeldinFool are correct.  Once he received the AWS/CAWI he is under the Rules of Ethics and operating procedures produced by AWS Certification Committee.  Those state very specifically that the CAWI can ONLY perform inspections responsibilities under the watchful eyes and ears of a CWI or SCWI. 

If his employer were to 'demand' that he perform duties as an in house QC, while he has most of the experience and qualifications to do so better than others working there, they would both be responsible for him violating the Rules of Ethics and possibly losing his credentials altogether.  They really need a CWI for him to work under or get rid of the CAWI credentials and make him a QC inspector according to their rights under D1.1 Clause 6. 

So, to your questions:
1) the contract is specific enough; it defers to the applicable code and organization rules surrounding that code and all of it's applicable parts.  In house QC needs to be kept separate in our minds from actual CWI abilities, qualifications, responsibilities, and even requirements.

2) Yes, a CAWI can do inspections; BUT, he must be supervised by a CWI or SCWI.  There is no CONFLICT to which one TRUMPS the other, you simply have to put them all together in an appropriate manner.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 08-14-2015 12:14
Thanks for the reply Brent.

That's the direction I was leaning towards, I told him that and showed him supporting documents which was referenced in this post. I know as far as he's concerned he will just not inspect the job. As far as his boss is concerned he's going to have to work it out with the customer and probably hire a TPI, maybe it will not set him back too far. That just shows the importance of reading contract documents and fully understanding your shop certifications and limitations.

Thanks again.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-15-2015 03:15
All he has to do is send his CAWI back to AWS and say, "Thanks, but no thanks." and then he free of the code of ethics.

Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Inspect per D1.1 2010