Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI testing question
- - By Dinojay Date 08-19-2015 13:04
I am planning on taking the CWI Early next year.
(Planning on the taking the seminar also, and don't have vacation time to do it this year)

Anyway,
I have a few questions.

If I'm not mistaken, the "pre study" workbook is only available to you for 90 days (after you sign up)
I am somewhat familiar with d1.1 (we used d1.1 in our plant specific codes)

I plan on ordering the d1.1 book.

1.Do I need to order the NEW d1.1 book that's coming out soon?
Or will I still be able to use the current d1.1 book?

2. What kind of math skills do I need to brush up on?

3. Is there a book or 2 that I can order to be "pre-studying" now?
I was looking at ordering the "weld inspectors handbook" in the AWS bookstore.
Besides being a good book to have, would there be info in it that will help me on the test?

4. The tools on the hands on inspection part of the test, micrometer,dial calipers, standard scale?

I have been looking for info to stuff in my brain, and help me brush up on stuff that I haven't used in a while.
I have been reading this forum for a few days, and I know there is some outstanding help on here.
Thanks
Dino
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-19-2015 13:33 Edited 08-19-2015 14:09
If you are taking the test next year, I believe the 2015 edition will most likely be used as the basis of the open code book test. That isn't to say the 2010 cannot be used. We will not know until the Certification Department publishes the requirements.

Math skills needed are basic math skills, i.e., using formulas to calculate area, ultimate tensile strength, elongation, reduction in cross section, addition, subtraction, fractions, and conversions from metric to customary units and vice versa. Learn your way around your calculator. I recommend the TI30 series. It is inexpensive and easy to use. It has the Pi function and all the trig functions you will need.

The Inspector's Handbook provides good basic information, but it isn't as extensive as the Welding Inspection Technology text book used in the seminar. The guide for NDE of welds (AWS B1.10) is a good text to study. Terms and definitions (AWS A3.0) and welding symbols (AWS A2.4) are must reads.

My advice is to buy the books now and then you can sell the books you receive at the seminar. There is always someone looking to buy the books. You might find several people here in the Forum that are willing to sell their books. Do not buy books that have been marked up by someone else. The markings are a distraction.

Tools: know how to use a micrometer, dial caliper, fillet gages, and a six inch ruler. Practice measuring welds and evaluate them by comparing what you see to what the code accepts. You can photocopy the several pages you will need from the current edition of D1.1.

Study D1.1. The best way is to read through the entire code to become familiar with the layout and where information is located. This next step is the hard part. Write questions based on each subclause. That forces you to read the subclause for understanding and forces you to figure out how that subclause is affected by the requirements of other subclauses.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-20-2015 16:57
Dino,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

This is a common question that you can use the 'Search' function here to get even more responses on.

Let's try to break it down though Al already gave you a great answer.

I'm not sure what "pre study" workbook you refer to as only being available for 90 days after you sign up.  All of the books that are provided as part of the fees of the seminar are handed to you the first day of the seminar.  You don't get them ahead of time for study but once you get them they are yours to keep, not just for 90 days. 

1) I would definitely suggest getting the D1.1-2015 as soon as it is available, which a recent announcement says they can be ordered the end of Sept. 

BUT, if you take the exam early next year they will probably still be using the 2010 edition for the exams.  It takes longer than that to see if any changes in the new code edition have any effect on the questions and correct answers per the code the exam was written to.  After they do start using the newest code edition they usually allow about a one year grace period where they allow use of either the newest or the previous edition.  Keep your eyes open for announcements from the committee though because as Al indicated, they have the final word.

2) Very basic math skills.  Any need formula are gone over in the seminar, is specifically given in the body of the question on the exam and is easily calculated with the most basic calculator or math skills.  Add, subtract, multiply, and divide.  Maybe a little understanding of fractions, decimals, and percentages but not enough to get worked up about and few enough math questions that even if you missed every one of them you could still easily pass the exam if you don't miss a lot from other categories. 

3) I suggest ordering every book listed on the 'recommended self study materials' section found in all the documents for the seminar/exam.  As Al noted, you then leave the ones handed to you at the seminar in their plastic wrapping and sell them.  Always someone looking to get study materials. 

If I could only afford one early, WIT for sure.  If I wanted one different from those handed out at the seminar to advance my library but allow me to start studying early, the Weld Inspectors Handbook is a great choice. 

4) The tools.  Here I part from many people.  Take that cheesy micrometer and leave it in the box they set in front of you and don't even consider using it, UNLESS you use a mic everyday, several times a day and are really familiar with them.  The accuracy of a mic is not really needed.  Many people take way too much time trying to adjust them when they could have been answering other questions to get totally finished with that section.  Even after adjustment, they don't know how to read them well enough and fast enough to be accurate and quick in finding the answer.  The calipers and/or machinist's rule are all you need to complete the Part B portion of the exam.  Beyond those, the flashlight, V-WAC gauge, and fillet weld gauges are all you really need.  Make sure you actually know how to use the fillet weld gauges.  They are a Go/No-go gauge and many people don't know where that difference is. 

STUDY, STUDY, and MORE STUDY.  Then, Practice, study, practice, and study.

Best wishes.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Dinojay Date 08-20-2015 18:15 Edited 08-20-2015 18:27
Yall are awesome....
As far as the 90 day thing I was talking about, I think I misread some stuff...
There is so much info in front of you looking at all this it can be overwhelming...
I THINK I'm clear on pretty much everything now
Thanks for all the info....
Much appreciated....
Parent - - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 08-21-2015 23:22
Dinojay you can take the seminar and wait and take the exam at a later time if you want to. Will I think so maybe Al and Brent can tell us.

M.G.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2015 00:10
Yes, that is always a possibility and well advised for some people.  All depends upon how much inspections experience one actually has. 

While you are "qualified" to take the exam after being a welder to a code for 5 years, you are NOT 'qualified' to truly work as a CWI IF you actually manage to pass the exam with that little bit of experience.  There is a lot more to this job than just squeaking past the exams and thinking you know everything about doing the job. 

But, I digress. 

Yes, you can take the exam later.

Brent
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-22-2015 18:32
If I remember correctly, this training comes with free retaking of the course if you fail.
I've known many CWI's that have attended and attained their cert through them and all had great things to say of their experience.
3 locations in Homa, LA, Ellijay, GA and Pascagoula, MS.
http://www.realeducational.com/index.html
Parent - By Phalen (*) Date 09-02-2015 22:06
I just went to the seminar and have all the books including the D1.1 in the plastic.  text me 858-886-9864
- - By Dualie (***) Date 08-22-2015 05:52
A little off topic here but if were waiting till october to publish the 2015 D1.1 why not just call it the 2016?      seems more logical than the new forum layout
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2015 17:32
It's been like this for at least quite a while Dualie.  By the time they get everything through all the committees, attorneys, AWS Miami staff, published, ready to distribute it is late in the year.  And they used to do this on a two year cycle.  The new 5 year gives them more time but they still run late in the year and I think someone likes the 'decade' marks.  You would be off if you changed it a year. 

But, it is available at the end of this month on electronic format and next month in hard copy of it comes out on time.  Of course, it will still take some time to get it.  They are probably published by now.  Still have proof checking, stocking, and then advertising. 

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI testing question