Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 6GR QUALIFIED THICKNESS RANGE....
- - By zaza Date 08-21-2015 09:15
Hello there,
I just want some opinion from u guys,

I just develop WPS 6GR with COMBINATION PROCESS.
It has different thickness which is 16mm and 25mm.
The process is SMAW and FCAW.
So, the thing is i need to clarify the qualified range for the thickness.
Should i state (Test diam. and over) or i should state the (value).
Lets say if i need to state the value, should i take the value from the minimum or maximum thickness (please refer code AWS D1.1-page 140).
Please uols help me with this.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-21-2015 13:26 Edited 08-21-2015 13:29
If the PQR supporting the WPS is qualified to AWS D1.1 using more than one welding process on the same assembly, it is invalid.

AWS qualification is based on the thickness of the base metal tested, not the thickness of the deposited weld. As such, there is no mechanism to utilize more than one welding process on the same test coupon.

In order to qualify two welding processes, one must test each welding process separately, one process per test coupon. Once each welding process has been qualified with the appropriate supporting PQR, the production WPS can include one or more welding processes provided there are the necessary supporting PQRs.

One can combine WPSs. For example; one WPS is qualified for open root in the 6GR test position. A second WPS, prequalified, is written to permit welding tubulars in all positions with backing. The two WPSs can be combined to permit the open root joint to be welded in all positions to a specified thickness (perhaps the root and second layer) followed by FCAW to complete the joint (now considered to be with backing) to completion.

The qualification of WPSs to a AWS structural welding code is not the same as qualifying a WPS to ASME Section IX requirements. Different code, different requirements.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 08-21-2015 15:57
Zaza,
When you state "It has different thickness which is 16mm and 25mm" are you referring to dissimilar wall thickness or are you referring to thickness deposited per welding process?  I assumed you were speaking of thickness deposited until you imply that these dimensions affect the diameter qualified.  Are you joining two pieces of pipe that have dissimilar wall thickness and dissimilar outer diameter?  How can you state the diameter value from the thickness values?  Did you conduct separate qualification tests for each base metal thickness and/or welding process?  I find your question confusing.
I'm sure everybody here would be happy to help if you could provide less ambiguous information.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2015 18:31
As they welded a 6GR it had to have different thicknesses for the two pieces of pipe/tube that were welded together.  See Clause 4.27 and Figures 4.24 (for reference) and 4.27 (for application).

Brent
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 08-21-2015 19:37
Good catch, Brent.  I didn't glean the 6GR portion of the question.  I figured we were talking wall thickness and not weld deposited but only because I was dubious that Zaza was qualifying on a 41mm pipe.
I see the wording threw Al for a loop as well. 
In that case, good question Zaza.  I've never worked with much pipe to D1.1 and don't have a copy with me, so can't be of much help.  Good luck!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-21-2015 22:03
Just for clarification:

'Working with pipe' when associated with D1.1 is not really 'working with pipe'.  Yeah, clear as mud, I know.  So here:

Tubing (round, square, rectangular) and pipe are used for cross braces, columns, beams, and facia members in structural applications.

Especially when those come together in TYK joints they have unique welding restrictions.  Thus, a special test, the 6GR in order to be qualified.  It does not take the place of API or ASME tests.  Each has it's own application.

As with so many issues we come up against, don't mix your codes and applications just because it is 'PIPE'. 

Not necessarily for you In Tension.  Just making sure others who come here for info as newbies don't get off on the wrong foot with this one.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-22-2015 20:48
In-tension; Sorry if I confused you. My point was that one cannot qualify more than one welding process on a single test coupon when qualifying a procedure to AWS D1.1.

The poster said he qualified two welding processes on one test assembly. Sorry, can't do that, thus the PQR and WPS are not valid it AWS D1.1 is the governing fabrication document.

The question about thickness range qualified is moot if the PQR is "dead in the water" right out of the starting gate.

Al
Parent - - By Bobby Xie Date 08-22-2015 09:38
Hi, Everyone, my name is Bobby from Bota Heavy Industry, We are the only manufacturing enterprise participated in the editing of Welding Equipment Standard, Wind Tower Welding Line and Welding H-beam National Standard. We take the lead in passing ISO9000 quality system certification and CE certificate.

However, I just joined Bota, I wish to learn all the welding jargons with you guys.

Yours sincerely!
Best regards!

Bobby Xie(English Sales Rep)

Bota Heavy Industry Equipment Co., Ltd.
Add:Xu Jiaying Industrial Park, Xin Dian, Luoyang High-tech Industrial Development Zone, Luoyang, China
Tel:  +86-1381-7586-434
Fax: +86-0379-65169655
China Hotline:400-0379-069
Email:botazg999@163.com & Bota_Sales9@163.com
Linkedin: https://cn.linkedin.com/in/4welding
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-22-2015 17:41
Bobby,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

A couple of pointers Bobby.  When you have a question, start your own thread by going to the appropriate section, at least where you think it fits best, mods will move it if they think it is way off, and click the 'post' button.  Insert a title and then go to the text box.

Better for the most part to keep new questions in their own thread instead of taking other threads off topic even if only slightly.

Don't be afraid to enter any ongoing conversation.  We may bite but we usually don't remove much flesh and we never swallow.  :eek:

Thanks for checking us out.  Stick around.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / 6GR QUALIFIED THICKNESS RANGE....