Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Interview advice needed
- - By newinsp (**) Date 08-27-2015 23:35
I have an interview coming up for a inspector position that would be doing primarily ASME with a little D1.1 and D1.2.  Over the phone I already told them that I've been doing mostly welder qualification at the school where I teach P-T.  I do teach the students discontinuities and defects.  I've written D1.1 WPS for a shop, but have done nothing with ASME.  We agree that this is pretty much entry level, but I'm still nervous.  Have been feeling that I'd rather not try than to try and fail.  Any sage advice?

Thanks in advance,
Rick
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-28-2015 00:00
You can't swim if you are afraid to get wet.

Al
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 08-30-2015 14:17
Thanks Al.
During the interview, the QA guy pointed out a weld and asked me what I thought about it.  The welder had ground down the weld to try to hide what looked like overlap, but I can't find anything on this in ASME IX on it.  ASME IX is the only ASME code I have right now.    I told him that the weld looked pretty rough - it had spatter too. 
ASME will take some getting used to.  All the other welds in the shop looked perfect.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-28-2015 00:19
You can't move up the ladder of success if you let your fear of heights control you.  You must control it.

Get in there and do it.  Even if you fail, you will learn some things if you try and that just makes you better for the next go around.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By newinsp (**) Date 08-30-2015 14:18
Thanks Brent,

HE is in control for sure.
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 08-28-2015 02:57
Hi! Let them decide if your fit for the job! Never put yourself down! You have proved yourself already by passing the tests. I never let these tests get under my skin!
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 08-28-2015 05:37
My mantra of the last 12 years is from Chuck Norris' autobiography. He had spoken of a miserable childhood, devastating divorce and many other woes the same as us mere mortals face.
I read this book a few years ago while in a down cycle of failed finances and crippled from 2 vehicle wrecks that prohibited me (for 3 years) of working in the welding and construction field.

"Do NOT allow yourself to think negative!

Challenge yourself. You are only limited by the limitations YOU inflict on yourself.
Parent - By dick (**) Date 08-28-2015 06:36 Edited 08-28-2015 08:56
Sink or SWIM, it is truly up to one's self!
You can do it if you really want it enough!
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 08-28-2015 11:48
Just remember.

If you don't know the answer, "you know somebody who does"

No need to bluff,  You CAN get the job done.
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 08-28-2015 13:29
Lawrence has some good advice here. Be honest about your limitations but emphasize your resourcefulness.  Resourcefulness is an inspectors greatest trait... nobody can be expected to memorize everything.  Tell them, "If I don't know the answer off-hand I know where to find it expeditiously."  A response such as that will endear yourself to any Quality Manager because it should anyways be the habit of a good inspector to have his/her code book open when contentious issues arise. 
If you're talking to HR instead of the inspection head then the game has changed and your tactics should, too.
In any case, outline a learning plan to get yourself up to speed quickly.  The ASME codes are deceptively simple and intuitive once you understand the format.
Parent - - By newinsp (**) Date 08-30-2015 12:31
I want to thank you guys for the encouragement and advice.  They will be interviewing a couple of other guys, but said that if they hired me their retired CWI, who I know personally, would help train me for a month or so.  90% paperwork.  I would only check fit-ups with a tape measure, visual insp welds and welder qualification.  Blue jeans and a Tee-shirt for attire.  No hard hats.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 08-30-2015 15:03
You are right about ASME visual inspection criteria. Depending on the specific construction code, the visual criteria can be pretty Spartan.

As an inspector, our task is to compare the weld to the acceptance criteria provided. It isn't our prerogative  to apply acceptance criteria that may have applied to our last project or what we believe to be appropriate.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Interview advice needed