Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI/ACCP agreement
- - By mwmw (**) Date 08-30-2015 23:38
Not sure how many people are aware of this but if you currently hold a CWI/SCWI card you can register with ACCP for Level ll  VT

The American Society for Nondestructive Testing (ASNT) has an agreement with the American Welding Society (AWS) to provide access for AWS Certified Welding Inspectors (CWIs) and Senior Certified Welding Inspectors (SCWIs) to Visual Testing (VT) certification under the provisions of the ASNT Central Certification Program (ACCP). The purpose of this agreement is to facilitate companies’ and individuals’ compliance with current and anticipated personnel qualification requirements for Visual Testing.

ACCP provides visual testing certification in accordance with ASNT Recommended Practice No. SNT-TC-1A. It is the most widely referenced NDT program document and is widely specified in codes and standards, most notably by ASME. As a result of this broad recognition, the ACCP certificate provides its holder with access to work in accordance with many generally required codes and standards.

https://asnt.org/MajorSiteSections/Certification/ASNT_Central_Certification_Program/ACCP_Level_II_Program/AWS_CWI.aspx
Parent - - By thirdeye (***) Date 08-31-2015 13:32
In addition to a $200 fee for this ACCP VT certification, is should be noted that it does not carry a 3 or 5 year term... it actually will expire when your current 3 year term for CWI expires.
Parent - - By mwmw (**) Date 08-31-2015 14:32
So every 3 yrs you would have to renew it as well?
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 08-31-2015 17:32
From the ASNT/AWS Reciprocity FAQ:

Will my ACCP be renewed when I renew my CWI or SCWI certification?

While your ACCP certification will expire at the same time as your current CWI or SCWI, it will have to be renewed separately through ASNT. Because AWS has a 30-day grace period for renewal, ASNT will permit certificate holders to apply up to 60 days after their AWS expiration date. This will give applicants time to receive their renewed certificates from AWS and to forward a copy to ASNT with their ACCP renewal application, which will be available on the ASNT website.

What kind of eye examination will I need?

The ACCP program requires Jaeger J-1 near vision acuity, so your AWS eye examination (which requires J-2 acuity) cannot be accepted. When applicants go in for their AWS eye exam, they should ask to be tested to J-1 and have the eye examiner note on the report form that J-1 acuity has been met. The AWS eye form can be used as long as the J-1 note is included.
Parent - By thirdeye (***) Date 09-02-2015 19:03
That's the way I read it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 09-02-2015 21:55
Just for the record with what thirdeye has posted, if you were two years into your 3 year CWI cycle when you apply for the ASNT ACCP VT Level II reciprocity cert then you only have ONE YEAR before you would have to renew it.  But, then if you keep it up and send in your new CWI cert within a month or two of the expiration the ASNT remains valid and is a few dollars cheaper than if you let it lapse and is good on the same 3 year cycle that your CWI is valid for.

So, watch the first cycle depending upon how long you have already had your CWI.  After that, renew the same year but after you get the documents from AWS because you have to send in the cert proof with your renewal app.

Brent
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 09-03-2015 04:04
I just got my card yesterday so I will probably go ahead and pay for the asnt. With the card and the certificate they also had a flyer in the package explaining the agreement
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2015 17:56
Not to mention,

A good many companies who really know what it is don't recognize it.  The ASNT VT II cert contains training and testing to show knowledge about areas not covered by AWS/CWI seminar and exams. 

You are better off actually getting the ASNT VT cert or getting tested to VT level II through your company approved program that trains and tests you to the criteria applicable to the work. 

We set our company up through our Level III consultant to train and test to VT, MT, PT, and UT standards as set forth in ASNT SNT-TC-1A.  There is much to be examined by your company people responsible for establishing your QC Program to make sure your program is best set up for you and your applications.  The more I get into it the less difficult it is.  But, if you want to do it right so you never give a customer room for a legitimate challenge of your credentials then do it right.

Just my two tin pennies worth.  Reciprocity is not always the best way to go.  Just gives you more cards to flash around and gives ASNT $200 of your money.  Make sure you really need it and that it will actually work for you.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 08-31-2015 19:34
I completely agree that one hardly qualifies for the other.  The two programs do have quite a bit in common but a large portion of a comprehensive VT curriculum focuses on subjects that the CWI body of knowledge doesn't touch upon: optics, light properties, light manipulation, profilometers, remote viewing, comparators, surface textures, coatings, reflection/refraction... etc.
The CWI and VT programs supplement each other very well, but not when one is simply handed out without qualification through examination.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 08-31-2015 22:45
BB
Attachment: icon_that.gif (576B)
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 09-10-2015 00:53 Edited 09-10-2015 00:55
.....also note that the ACCP VT II vision test is a bit tougher than the CWI vision test(much smaller font)
EDIT:  Whoops! In-Tension already mentioned this fact

I still carry my ACCP VT II.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI/ACCP agreement