Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME VIII Div1 Question
- - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-02-2015 19:25
Does this code cover non-metallic and flexible materials of construction.  (think of a giant rubber balloon).  I have read the intro/scope about 4 times and I can't convince myself that it does or does not.  Main Parameter seems to be 15 psi, and there are some exceptions for water heaters and small diameter vessels (6" i think)
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 09-04-2015 02:50 Edited 09-04-2015 03:20
I've never seen, heard, or read about any such wackiness in Section VIII, but I'm far from an expert.  Is the flexible material to be the shell or a liner?  What's the material?  Many plastics fall under Section X.  I believe there are also flexible/expandable vessels under ASME PVHO-1.
The quickest way to disqualify your "vessel" from the Section VIII, in my opinion, is through material requirements. 
Skip the scope and read ahead to Part UG-Materials and descend the rabbit-hole.  In a nutshell, only materials listed in ASME Section II and used in conjunction with Subsection C of Section VIII may be used.  There are many exceptions and exemptions, many of which will be referenced in UG-4.  What's your application, out of curiosity?
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-05-2015 00:04
Big rubber tank full of liquid, like a military fuel bladder
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME VIII Div1 Question