Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dip Brazing
- - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-03-2015 23:04
This question is on which would make the strongest weld on a 5052 aluminum box it is .090 thick, dip brazing or GTAW with 4043
filler metal. I would like your input on this. My opinion is I think manual welding with GTAW would make a stronger weld.

M.G.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-04-2015 11:52 Edited 09-04-2015 11:57
Hey Milt

If I were building an aluminum box, welding or riveting would prolly be the first two choices.   But you may need something leak tight?

Since the filler for dip brazing is aluminum/silicon it would likely be a slightly less strong joint than welding...  But the big engineering question would be what kind of "strength" do you need, and where is it needed.

For example... a riveted assembly made from 7075 or 2024 might be something that is strong and easily manufactured.

Dip brazing requires some pretty solid up-front design and process engineering as well as plenty of specialized equipment, which if you have it is VERY slick.

The 900F degree salt/flux bath required for the dip braze must be considered also, as it relates to the heat treatment of the aluminum (if any).

Also, 5052 is very near the bottom of the list for brazable aluminum alloys, with a rating of "poor" compared to others.

So, dip brazing is likely not as strong as welding if you compare process vs process... On the other hand, it really depends on how the loads will be applied to the box.  A brazed lap joint is a pretty dependable thing.

For those reading who want to know a little more about dip brazing
http://www.dipbraze.com/what-is-dip-brazing/

Here are some really cool examples of some of the more complex assemblies dip brazing can produce
http://www.parfuse.com/samples/avionic-chassis.html

Parent - By Milton Gravitt (***) Date 09-04-2015 16:43
Thanks Lawrence I appreciate your responds.

Milton
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Dip Brazing