Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI & Welder...
- - By Ms Welder Date 04-04-2003 22:55
Hello. I've been a ASME cert. welder pipe welder for about 5 years, however, recently becoming a CWI has interested me as well. I've done some research pretaining to CWI jobs, I haven't found much. My question, the position of CWI in the field, is it large, and in demand? How much more, less, or same is the pay rate? Do CWI's contract theirselves out to companies?

Thank you for your replies!
Ms. Welder
Parent - - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-05-2003 00:34
I think like many skills, if you get in the right place at the right time, good things can happen. I don't maintain my CWI certs but I used to play one at some jobs I had. The ability to weld and do inspection work gives you a little more versatility. With the proper knowledge and ability an inspector can make a good bit more money than an average pipe welder. With the proper knowledge and ability a welder can make more than the average inspector.

What I have seen as far as temp inspection work, the range that has been offered is $15.00 to $35.00 per hour for contract inspectors. I live in the Southeast US in the state of Mississippi so this may not refllect the national average. (Since I feel we are a little more advanced than the remainder of the US :) None of these offers/work required me to have a CWI however there is no telling how many people have passed me up because I am not. My current part time employer has indicated I need to get this. When I have the money to get my certs back up and feel that its worth it, I will. Thats why I like welding, I get paid to take a test and show my skills as opposed to the CWI test where I have to pay somebody to certify what I already know.

I suggest becoming familar with what is required of an inspector and preparing yourself to do that type of work. Then worry about certification.

Another line of thought is "Become certified so you can get your foot in to gain experience". I don't care much for that one but I feel if you have to get your foot in the door without the rest of you, your probably leaving something behind.

If you are considering this because inspectors make more money, check the journeyman wage for the boilermakers or steamfitters in your area. The journey wage here in my area is MUCH better than what I have made as an inspector working for an inspection company and nearly as good as what I get as a contractor.

I worked as a QC for a year or so before taking the test. This helped a great deal because PASS OR FAIL, I WAS A WELDING INSPECTOR. I am still a welding inspector, heat exchanger inspector, piping inspector, rotating equipment inspector, fabricated equipment inspector etc..

I actually think I would be more valuable today if I knew less about welding and more about other aspects of QA/QC and had more experience in other industries. I have made most of my mistakes in non-welding related issues.

There is much more to being an inspector than CWI certs.

Many people want you to be able to verifiy equipment in more ways than welding. The certification is helpful to allow others to know your level of knowledge. Your actual abilities will show up in your work.

Have a good day and pay close attention to the responses you get here. There is a wide range of experience and knowledge here and I think it is all of equal value and worthy of review.

G Austin
http://www.weldinginspectionsvcs.com
Parent - - By rpoche (*) Date 04-08-2003 01:11
Gerald:

I think all inquiries about this subject should be sent directly to you. Your answers are always dead on the mark.

Robert :):)
Parent - By pipewelder_1999 (****) Date 04-08-2003 02:58
I get a little long winded on some subjects but I appreciate the comment.

Thanks

G Austin
Parent - By jon20013 (*****) Date 04-07-2003 15:26
I've been a CWI for more than 22 years now, recently an SCWI (Senior). I very much agree with Gerald's responses. Obtaining a CWI qualification is impressive and carries a lot of weight in many industries but it, in itself, does not quite do the job in preparing one for all aspects of inspection ~ in my experience only experience can do that. Still, it is one way into the inspection field and remains a highly regarded qualification. Speaking from my own experience, having been a welder before becoming an inspector/CWI, my career would not be what it is today if I hadn't put forth the effort of becoming a CWI. I firmly believe it is an excellent program and would be well worth your effort in pursuing!
Parent - By DavidP66 (*) Date 04-08-2003 15:44
what ever you do...if you pass and make CWI and take a job as a welder in the meantime...waiting for a position in QA/QC to open.if ...dont tell them your a CWI...i made that mistake thinking that it would get me more money for my welding knowledge...but instead got fired less than a month into a job from an employer who was doing a bunch of illegal stuff....i took it with a grain of salt...and did what he told me to to repectfully....but he seemed to have this "personal" problem with me......

David
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / CWI & Welder...