Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section IX Question
- - By W3ldEngin33r Date 09-16-2015 13:15
There has been an issue lately at my work that is stumping me. We have a WPS in place that allows for either an vertical up or vertical down root pass when welding vertically (obviously). The issue in question is when welding the base material the weld is completed in 1 single pass because the material is so thin that the welders are are calling that single pass the root pass itself. From a welding standpoint it makes perfect sense because it's a single pass, therefore the root and the cover pass are one in the same. However, I have received information that people would like to see where that statement is mentioned in Section IX. I've looked into QW-405 to see if there is any mention but there is not anything I can find. Can anyone help me as to where I can find this in Section IX (question below)?

Can a single pass weld be considered a root pass & a cover pass at the same time?

Thank you in Advance

Kyle
Parent - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 09-16-2015 14:14
Kyle,
Not always~
More details need to be known to answer your question.

It's not often but if you are using the QW-290 Tempering Bead Welding, in this case, the QW-410.58 in Table QW-290.4 is an essential variable. This delete of surface temper beads requires requalification of your WPS.

Also, when toughness testing is required and the supplementary variables apply, one can not assume that he can weld as thin as the base metal can be. QW-403.6 limit the minimum base metal thickness. When base metal is too thin, less welding heat is conducted through base metal resulting in higher heat input to the joint. Parameters of WPS for thicker base metal may not guarantee the desired joint toughness when used on thin.

If no change of essential/supplementary essential variables, the answer to your question can be yes based on Section IX.

Regards,

Jovi
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2015 14:16
Actually, given your question as it is, ASME Section IX couldn't care less what you call it. What IX cares about is how you qualified it. Call it a kabooki pass. As long as the variables in the WPS are allowed by the variables in the PQR you are good to go.
Now, if a customer imposes full AWS terminological restriction then you will need to comply.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-16-2015 14:44
Terminological kabooki

This thread shows promise  :)
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-16-2015 15:49
Yeah, but we need guys like you and Al to take the handoff and get it to the endzone.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-16-2015 22:08
Not me, this is akin to how many fairies can dance on the head of a pin. A single pass weld? Weld uphill or down, is it a root bead or a cover bead? Who cares other than someone that is bored to tears because there is nothing to do. Even when it comes to toughness; the material to too thin to invoke toughness requirements based on the ASME construction codes I've used.

Vertical uphill or down, it is a welder skill issue in this case. Toughness is not an issue.

Al
Parent - - By Jovi Zhu (**) Date 09-16-2015 22:35
Everytime I read Al's post I confess something~:grin:

This time I confess that when I worte my post above I was kind of bored and there was nothing to do~:lol::lol:
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-17-2015 00:18
:grin:
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / ASME Section IX Question