Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Creating a WPS from a PQR
- - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 09-18-2015 13:39
Hello All,

Is there any recommended free software out there for creating a WPS Document from a PQR, or would anyone be willing to share a file that I can use on my PC.

Thanks in advance.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2015 18:34
What welding standard are you working with?

Most welding standards include a sample form that can be used. simply fill in the blanks. The ranges for the welding parameters can be based on the median values recorded by the PQR. In other words, the voltage range recorded by the PQR 12-16V. The WPS; +/- 25%, so the WPS would list 10.5 to 17.5 volts.

Read the welding standard carefully to see what other information must be addressed by the WPS. For instance, both the essential and nonessential variables usually have to be addressed by the WPS. Are you going to back gouge the second side? If you are, what methods are to be used, grinding, machining, carbon arc gouging? What weld types - fillets, grooves, plug, slot, etc.? For groove welds, what groove angles are permitted, what is the smallest, what is the largest, etc.?

WPSs are not the difficult if you follow the welding standard closely and don't try to push the envelop. Be somewhat conservative and you should be fine.

If necessary, take a seminar to learn more about the process of developing WPSs and qualifying WPSs. ASME offers a good course for those working with Section IX. Even if one is not working with ASME, it at least gives you a lot of good information. Not that I agree with everything Section IX requires, but it is a good start.

Al
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 09-18-2015 18:56
D1.1 and D15.1
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-18-2015 20:41 Edited 09-18-2015 20:46
Have you attempted to use the forms found in the Annex of D1.1? They include a blank form and then a form that is filled in to show what information is placed where.

You can use the same format for D15.1 if I remember correctly.

It is best if one can fill in the forms and understands what goes where if they are responsible for welding operations. It is not that difficult to follow the format included in D1.1. However, I generate the forms using MS Word or if one prefers, use an MS Excel spreadsheet format. I like the word processor for the WPS because it is easier to expand or contract the form. For instance, I might expand the form to accommodate information about cleaning. When welding titanium I expand the details about precleaning, interpass cleaning, and post welding cleaning. When addressing filler metals I might expand the form when I want the welder to use a specific brand name available from a specific manufacturer because I need extra manganese to counter the sulfur content of the casting being repaired. Having your own forms gives you flexibility you will not find with a "canned" program.

The other thing to keep in mind, the "canned" programs are fine for general, run of the mill type work, but they are not so adept at handling unusual combinations of base metal or welding standards that are not main stream. D15.1 could be considered to fit the later category because it has a limited customer base, so it isn't going to sell as well as a program intended to satisfy D1.1. That being the case, it is difficult to make the preformatted forms "fit" the specific welding standard you may be working with. Why? Because, the essential and nonessential variables change from one welding standard to another.

Writing a good WPS can be a challenge, but the effort is worthwhile. Just remember who your audience is. You are writing the WPS for a welder. The information presented should be in a format the welder can use. Too many WPSs are written by engineers for other engineers. The information provided is of little use to the welder. For example, few welders will find an entry on the WPS that  states "All Group 1 base metals as found in Table 3.1 of AWS D1.1" very informative or useful. It is better to list the applicable base metal specifications and grades, if not on the WPS, they can be listed in an Annex attached to the WPS. If the WPS is for a specific part that is composed of one, two, or three different base metals, it is easy enough to list those base metal specifications on the WPS.

The same is true of the joint details. The WPS can include the specific joint details used if there are only one, two, or several typical joints. If the nature of the work and the WPS is used for a variety of parts, the joint details can be detailed in an Annex and the WPS would simply reference the Annex. That works very well when there is coordination between the engineering department and the production department. If the system is working, the joint detail is referenced in the tail of the welding symbol. The welder simply looks up the detail referenced by the welding symbol in the Annex. Everything the welder needs to properly fit the joint is easily located. Likewise, all the information needed by the inspector, i.e., the min./max. groove angle, min./max. root opening, etc. is readily available when performing the fit up inspection.

Look at that, we started the conversation talking about WPSs and now we are talking about a coordinated manufacturing system.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 09-21-2015 12:33
Thanks Al,

I am taking the CWI seminar/test next month in Iowa and have been hitting the books for a few months now.

I trying to figure out the D1.1 book - I have not been exposed to too much code through-out my career.

Any ideas.

Your help is always appreciated.

Thank You -
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-21-2015 19:39
If you are asking me how to prepare for the D1.1 open book exam, here goes:

Get a copy of the 2010 edition and read it a couple of times. The goal is not to memorize it. The goal is to understand how it is laid out so you can find information needed to answer a question quickly.

One must read each clause carefully in order to understand it. One way to do that is to develop a question based on the information provided by each clause. Look at the commentary because it can provide some added insight on the meaning or how to apply the clause. Not every clause is addressed by the commentary, but most of the difficult clauses are.

The material can be very complex as you can see by the number questions posted here in the Forum.

Tabbing will be covered in the seminar. Each instructor has their own idea of what works. Still, all in all, they have a pretty good idea of how to approach the subject of highlighting and underlining important information and key points.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 09-21-2015 18:27
There is a link on this forum under the "Downloads" section that will allow you to download Lincoln Electric's "ArcWorks" software. It is free and works quite well for creating PQR, WPS, and WQR that are compliant to D1.1 and D1.5. Just remember that it is no longer supported by Lincoln. That being said, it works quite well and give you very professional looking documents.
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 09-22-2015 12:38
I don't think it is free anymore?
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 09-22-2015 18:08
I recently downloaded it to one of my laptops using the link on this forum, it worked just fine and is definitely free.
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 09-22-2015 18:43
I keep on getting an error message that I need a 32 bit system?
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-22-2015 21:25
So, you have a newer version of the Windows OS. The newer OS is a 64 bit system that will not accept files or programs intended for the older 32 bit OS. That's the reason I bought my laptop with the older 32 bit OS. I didn't want to go out and buy all new programs. Call me cheap.

Al
Parent - By MRWeldSoCal (***) Date 11-02-2015 18:16
Weld Office, Its expensive but uses drop down tabs and its accurate to every variable you can input.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Inspection & Qualification / Creating a WPS from a PQR