Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Help with transition, please?
- - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 09-23-2015 14:56
Hi all,

I've been welding or managing welding operations for 27 years now. I have my CWI and CWS (US and Canada). My new position is as a QA/QC Manager for a shop that works to ASME codes (pressure vessels and boilers, OEM), section I and IX work mostly (I believe).

My "challenge" is that I've been involved in structural steel most of my life. CWB W47.1, W59 and AWS D1.1, D1.2, D1.5, D1.8, etc... have been my "bibles" up until now.

What advice can you give on making the transition from that, to ASME boiler and pressure vessel code work? Did any of you have to go through this, and what did you learn that might help me "hit the ground running" a little faster?

Any help appreciated!

God bless,
Jeff
Parent - - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-23-2015 16:57
Jeff,

Section IX is a dependent code along with Section V. Neither builds anything, but can be (and usually are) invoked by construction codes such as Sections 1, 3, 8, etc. Piping B31 series .1, .3, .8 etc. Then there are some API standards and others as well.

Structure of the code is different from AWS significantly. I would advise getting familiar with the structure and not get buried in the bug dust at first. It would be wise to assess your new employers past business, quality manuals, and any former, current, or planned ASME stamp activities.

Most importantly remember this. ASME Always. Sometimes. Maybe. Everytime. That may seem like a joke until you get into the particulars of the code.
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 09-23-2015 17:31
Thanks, I was afraid of that! lol
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-23-2015 19:54
I would take on CWI555 thoughts of ASME, read them books and learn your way round them! They are way different than AWS! ASME-Always, Sometimes, Maybe, Everytime.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-23-2015 20:08
I thought it was: Always, Sometimes, Maybe, or Except.

Al
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 09-23-2015 20:12
That works too!
Parent - - By js55 (*****) Date 09-23-2015 21:01
There is one other major difference. It is extremely rare for ASME to allow a violation of its own Code as do the AWS D1 's with EOR authority. There is no such comparable authority in ASME. And on those very rare occasions you will need EXTENSIVE technical justification.
Parent - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 09-24-2015 16:32
Thanks.
Parent - By CWI555 (*****) Date 09-24-2015 10:27
It was. Was trying to be more positive.
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 09-24-2015 16:33
I've been trying to find Visual Acceptance Criteria for welds, or anything for that matter. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-24-2015 17:22
You will have to look at the specific construction code. Generally, the construction code is not going to provide the prescriptive visual criteria found in AWS standards. For example, one will not find acceptance criteria for undercut in Section VIII. Melt through is not address for all fluid services in ASME B31.3 with the exception of the High Pressure Fluid service.

If one uses the VT criteria of Section IX, the welder can weld the pipe solid and the face reinforcement has no limits when qualifying. I always chuckle when contractors say they are welding in accordance with Section IX or when they say their VT criteria is per Section IX.

Best regards - AL
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-25-2015 10:55
I believe Table 341.3.2 of ASME B31.3:2012 addresses melt through (as defined by AWS A3.0:2010). 

They call it internal protrusion in 31.3 and they group it with reinforcement.  It is in the last row of the table 

For all but Category D fluid service, it is shown as symbol "L", for Category D it is "M"

Symbol "L" gives a table of allowed reinforcement and internal protrusions based on wall thickness, of course, there are a couple of notes that provide some detail on how to measure, excludes fillets, and modifies the allowable dimensions for aluminum welds.

Symbol "M" allows for 2x the value in "L", and then goes on to say that the aluminum note does not apply
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 09-26-2015 00:06
You may be correct, but I somehow remember the internal protrusion only appling to the High Pressure fluid service. When I get a chance, I'll look it up.

Al
Parent - By fschweighardt (***) Date 09-28-2015 17:08
Just checked again, and per 341.4.1, the above criteria are for Normal Fluid Service
Parent - - By J.W. (*) Date 09-29-2015 17:43
Section VIII doesn't have a VT Criteria for welding but with that being said the rules for PT (Appendices 8) MT (Appendices 6) are a useful guidelines. Make your self familiar with UW-3 (Joint Categories), UW-33 (Misalignment) and UW-35 (Weld Reinforcement).
Parent - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 10-01-2015 17:33
Thanks, good info. I found the VT criteria I was looking for in B31.1.
Parent - - By JeffStankiewicz (*) Date 10-26-2015 22:03
If anyone else can give me some info that might help, or point me in the right direction where I can speed up my transition from AWS to ASME, I would really appreciate it!

Thanks again!
Jeff
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 10-27-2015 00:51
Jeff, I've sent you a private message with some ideas that may ease your pain.
Up Topic Welding Industry / ASME Codes / Help with transition, please?