Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Everlast welders advanced AC pulse
- - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 09-29-2015 02:03
I know Everlast is sort of an off brand but has anyone on here tried one of the machines that has the Advanced AC pulse mode on it? Thoughts? Opinions?
A farmer friend of mine got one, he asked me to come over and help set it up for him.
The advanced pulse mode is pretty strange... it pulses between AC and DC-. You can adjust the AC wave about as well as any AC inverter but it has a DC- side that has a timing and amperage control.
It seemed like with some playing around that it could do things that "normal" AC couldn't... hard to describe but it seemed like everything melted in and flowed a bit easier. You could really dial down the DC+ etching effect and still obtain fusion and a clean bead.
It would dial right out of whack really easily though... too heavy on the DC- and light on the AC amps would result in a really sluggish skin covered weld, if not total oxidation and failure.
This is a link to one of their sites that explains the AC pulse pretty well...
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/blog/tig-welding-pulse-versus-advanced-pulse-part-2-2
This was the machine I got to try out/set up.
http://www.everlastgenerators.com/product/tig-stick/powertig-255ext

Apart from the strange pulse modes the machine was a fairly decent running inverter GTAW/SMAW unit. Plugged into 110V it topped out at 125amps. Plugged into 220V it gets up to 200 or 210...
no affiliation just intrigue over a strange new welding mode...
-Clif
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2015 03:02
Asymmetruc AC current output same as the $10,000 Miller Dynasty.

Cool features
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 09-29-2015 04:24
So help me out here. Didn't Panasonic have a DC imposed current in one of their AC GTAW machines about 15+ years ago? I was at the AWS show in LA and ran a machine like that. I realize it wasn't the same AC arc, but as I recall it did have a background/imposed DC current that worked in conjunction with the AC. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 09-29-2015 12:55
Yeah Allan,  Panasonic has had a bunch of interesting stuff over the years.  

I just don't think the market was there when they came out with their bag of tricks... Plus the cost was very high.

Asymmetric AC current for aluminum is very cool, but lets keep in mind that probably more than 95% of X-ray quality GTAW welds made in production around the globe are made with parameters that can be produced by any Synchrowave 250.

High speeds, super thin base metal, small fillet size, smaller melt thru on grooves, minimized etch zone are all things the Asymmetric AC can do....

These "garage models" like the one mentioned above are pretty sexy, and a fraction of the cost of the U.S. made units.  Which makes me happy,  as the imports progress is quality and reliability, the U.S. makers decrease price to stay in the market.  Win-win for us welders.

Lincoln has just introduced the "Aspect" which is everything the Miller Dynasty is but much less expensive and MUCH BETTER OPERATOR INTERFACE!    I test drove one of in Cleveland before they came on the market and it's a freakin Ferrari.

The Lincoln Aspect fully loaded with liquid cooled, torches and cart is about $6,400
Miller Dynasty fully loaded with liquid cooled, torches and cart is about        $11,300

The little machines that are imported don't compare apples to apples... They do have 110/220 flexibility, but some can run 250 amps AC, they don't have all the features the U.S. brands do... But on the other hand.. They are affordable $1,500....  I can get a water cooled torch and use the garden hose and a bucket or floor drain for my garage welding.   Will they last?  Is the warranty as good?   Are they U.S. made?  Those are important factors too .    But they offer AC Tig welding for less than $1500 bucks and that opens doors to quite a lot of people.
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 09-29-2015 15:40
I agree completely Lawrence, everyone needs a break on the cost of US made machinery. When I ran the Panasonic I was impressed with it's ability to light off on some 1/2" aluminum with a 3/32" tungsten and little to no spitting and almost an instant puddle. At that particular time the Dynasty's and comparable equipment were just a pipe dream. Thank you for the informational reply. Best regards, Allan
Parent - By PlasmaHead2 (***) Date 09-30-2015 03:35
Ahh... not new, just cheap enough for everyone to play with now. :lol:
I might end up getting one for the house.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Everlast welders advanced AC pulse