Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which course for a beginner in welding?
- - By Mike11 Date 09-30-2015 13:05
I am a sophomore and looking forward to have a career in welding. I have been doing some house old welding but not really thought of taking it as my career though im very interested in it until recently. I recently came to know about a welding school in Toronto that offers good courses in welding which I plan to join there after schooling. Im a bit confused on choosing the right kind of course and are there any certification s that are required from a career point of view. What are the career opportunities in taking welding as a profession?
Parent - By Blaster (***) Date 09-30-2015 14:26
For your basic education you want to become proficient with all the common processes:  stick, mig, tig, flux core with and without gas, air arc, and oxy fuel torch with multiple fuel gases.

Additionally you want to be proficient in math, basic layout, basic print reading, basic fitting, basic metal working theory, and most importantly "soft" or work habit related skills.

You want to be taught foundational skills, knowledge, and habits to become a welder / metal worker, not just how to weld.
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 09-30-2015 14:39
At a College you will more than likely learn the basics of a lot. You'll probably find some processes easier than others. I think there are a few choices to decide as far as career paths. A welding career will take you wherever you want to go. Do you want to travel? Work on a pipeline? Local Shops? When you decide what path you want to take whether it be now or halfway through school, then you can research on that specific industry. Nuclear power plants have different specifications than your local structural shop.

When you make that choice you can research the process that is used and favor that area in class while still learning a good basis on most processes and techniques.
Parent - By kcd616 (***) Date 09-30-2015 18:05 Edited 10-01-2015 19:47
I will be wrong and have Lawrence and Allan correct me:eek::red::surprised:
but safety is your first class, then blueprint reading
learn safety and lay-out and fitting, which goes with print reading
fitting takes decades to master
and you have metallurgy
which only George Linnert mastered...(will get told I am wrong on this):eek::red:
but here is the welding courses
ofw and ofc first
then move to smaw, gtaw, gmaw
edit: forgot fcaw
plasma cutting and welding
robotic stuff might be the future and present for shop work
which leads to jigs and fixtures
so much you can learn
but think of the work you wish to do
hope this helps
sincerely,
Kent
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 09-30-2015 22:55
This may be spam, since a similar message, linking to the same school, but under a different name appeared on the Hobart board this morning. The writer there was told to consult with the Ontario apprenticeship board, if his goal was Canadian journeyman status.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Which course for a beginner in welding?