Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to find accredited CWI testing school?
- - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-03-2015 21:13
I'm in Covington Louisiana would like to find out where do I find an accredited testing facility to take the test and the seminars?? I know some are done online and some are done by a instructor. I have been told you have to be careful and make sure there AWS accredited. Having trouble finding it on AWS.org

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-04-2015 02:02
For close in, there's "Real Education" in Pascagoula, Ms.
I've never heard a bad word about them and many have said Linda is an outstanding Instructor.
I know a few QCs that got their seminar from them and all passed the first go around.
Rumor has it that they have the best pass rate in the country, and there is supposedly a Free retake of their class if you should fail.
FWIW, down in your neck of the swamps, there are streets in Sun, LA named after my Mother, Father, 1 Aunt and a cousin...
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-04-2015 04:15 Edited 10-04-2015 04:28
thanks I will look them up that isn't to far away well maybe 1:45 but not bad, ok I have spent a lot of the day reading on AWS site so the online seminar is like 1150 non member but is only good for 90 days then it cuts off access to it, as I read says that the instructor seminar isn't enough to pass that a person should have the online seminar. So what do you think John? I mean I know you done it a few times but should i go with both or are there books I can buy now to really start reading on this?? Not sure if 90 days is enough for me to learn.

Thanks
Chris
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-04-2015 15:23 Edited 10-04-2015 15:45
Just a point of information; the individual providing the training is not permitted to administer the qualification test.

With regards to the CWI seminars, the intent is not to provide a beginner with the training required to transpose into a position as a welding inspector. The intent is to provide a thorough review to someone that has been working in some capacity with a recognized welding standard and is familiar with quality control functions.

Having said that, it is apparent there are a number of folks that sign up for the seminar that have little, if any experience, working to a code and have no experience in quality control or in many cases welding or welding inspection. These same people are upset when they and overwhelmed by the breadth of information presented during the seminar.

Those individuals that arrive at the CWI seminar, well prepared and with the requisite experience do very good on the examinations. Those found lacking, well, let's say they have their homework to do in preparation for their next attempt.

There are those venues that provide a more relaxed pace that are perhaps better suited for those individuals without the experience in quality control and weak in welding technology. AWS does not make it a prerequisite to attend their CWI seminar. One can home study, take a seminar offered by any number of private companies, or in some cases attend training sessions offered by their local section of AWS. Everyone has to determine what course is the correct one for them given their particular situation. The training doesn't have to break the bank if one studies on their own and purchases the necessary books a few at a time and spread the effort over time.

In my case, I took several seminars offered by my local section. I remember one course that spanned ten weeks and covered welding processes. Another weekend was spent covering welding metallurgy. Another training seminar was on the subject of NDT. None of these training sessions were specifically intended to prepare a person for the CWI, but it did fit the bill and in many respects was overkill for one intending to take the CWI, but that was before AWS had a formal training program. 

AWS has online based training available to those looking for such training. One can study at home without loosing work time or a paycheck. They are a bit pricey, but there are less expensive alternatives for those not inclined to spend the money for the online courses. What ever course of study is taken, education is always expensive, if in no other way than it takes time and effort on the part of the individual that expects to expand their employment opportunities.

Al
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-04-2015 19:12
Thanks Al if i have to spend the money for tbe online training tben fine i just dont like that it will cut
Me off in 90 days. I'll need more time as i am working. What books should i start getting to
Start studyi g or is it best to call aws for them to get me started on the correct books?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-04-2015 20:28
I haven't checked in a while, but they may list the books you will need to study on their website. If not:
AWS A3.0 terms and definitions
AWS A2.4 welding symbols
AWS B1.10 guide to NDE of welds
Welding Inspection Technology w/ workbook
Visual Inspection Workshop
The code of your choice; AWS D1.1:2010, API 1104 20th edition, ASME Section IX, B31.1 and B31.3 or Section IX and Section VIII, AWS D1.2, and others

There are also books on metallurgy available through AWS or ASM. I'm still studying the subjects and I've yet to master all of them.

If you are not familiar with the proper use of a micrometer or dial caliper, get one of each and practice. Likewise, get a set of fillet gages and practice using them if you are not familiar with them already.

That should give you a good start. Look on e-bay or even here on the Forum. There are usually a few fellows willing to part with the books they used to study for the examination.

Study hard and long. There is enough material listed that needs to be mastered to keep you going for a good while.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-04-2015 20:51
Thanks Al ive got some gauges a dial caliper which hadnt used in a while, friend is a machinist
I could barrow his micrometers for practice
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 10-26-2015 20:54
Chris -
Just a note - You will not need the micrometer for the test, they will give you one during Test B put it off to the side.
You will not use it during the week as well. Need dial caliper to measure strip widths that's about it.

There might be 1-2 questions in the Fundamentals of a picture of a micrometer to read.

REMEMBER DON'T USE THE MICROMETER it will only put more stress in the test if you don't know how to use it. There is no time to learn in test-mode.....

Study D1.1 and WIT.

Just took the CWI Test this past Saturday...

Good Luck...
Parent - - By Superflux (****) Date 10-05-2015 01:26
Seminar? Instructor???
I took the TEST back in '86 after ordering the study materials from the AWS. Read most of the materials supplied in 3 months prior to the exam. I suppose the 12 month welding program I attended 10 years earlier was a very good one since the CWI exam seemed to be little more than our final exam at VoTech School. Heck, I had never even seen a code book until 2 weeks prior to the exam when a friend that was on the Alaska Pipeline gave me a well worn stapled, 35 page Xerox'ed copy of API 1104 (15th Edition?) complete with circles, arrows, blood, mud and frayed/tattered edges to use for test day.

I think it all boils down to as my late great friend Lloyd Rummel (Who was a Proctor on the first CWI test) had on his classroom blackboard: "There is no substitute for daily preparation".
That being said, I have heard countless stories from failed candidates. The common back story is, they all expect the seminar to do it all for them.
One piece of advice is to sharpen your basic math skills in simple conversions. That way you will be able to spend more time pondering the difficult questions rather than trying to figure out the psi on a tensile pull question.
Find some one in here to buy the books from or get your own and then sell the new ones you get at the seminar.
Read, read and read some more.
Parent - By Chris2626 (***) Date 10-05-2015 01:45
Thanks John i knowi gotta read, no way that seminar will be enough.
Thanks
Parent - By bb29510 Date 10-15-2015 03:05
real education has one in homer la
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-26-2015 21:25
I am using Real Educational Services. Their classes book fast. They have several locations. I am going to the Houston Class in December. It is a 10 day class with the test on the 11th day. Check out their website and call them. they will send you all the info you need.
- By MrJuls (*) Date 11-25-2015 08:59
I am interested in attending the CWI Course, but I'm in SA. So I came across these people: http://www.qualitycontrol-egypt.com/application.htm. Has anybody ever heard of them or did a course through them? I'm a little sceptical...
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Where to find accredited CWI testing school?