Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is being used in place of MIL-STD-2219A
- - By SPAR.308 Date 10-04-2015 01:13 Edited 10-05-2015 01:05
Hi All,
I am new to the Forum.
I have been around welding for a good bit of my life but have a lot left to learn.
I have recently been voluntold to look over some of my groups weldment drawings as we serve as the engineering authority.

I currently have a drawing that is calling out MIL-STD-2219A Class A IHS has this std as being revised so it is no longer active. I was thinking of replacing the weld note with a weld to AWS D1.1 cyclically loaded structure and inspect to AWS D17.1/17.1M Class A.

Any information or experience is greatly needed.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-07-2015 03:31 Edited 10-07-2015 03:33
Interesting. MIL-STD-2219A has a history that goes back a bit. It originally combined several military welding standards, i.e., 8604, 1595, and others, used for aerospace applications. Then Ronald R. issued an executive order cancelling all military standard. The Navy work around was to issue MIL-STDs 248, 271, 278, 1688, etc. as Technical Publications. MIL-STD-2219 was handed off to SAE who treated it like a hot potato and handed it off to AWS.

AWS total botched the job and left out all the information needed to perform the guided bend tests needed to qualify WPSs and welders. They had an opportunity to harmonize D17.1 with other AWS standards, i.e., can you say AWS B2.1? They didn't and it is still the cluster of peanut butter it has always been. The recent revision of D17.1 at least added the data for guided bend tests, but it still suck puss from the boil.

The military reviewed AWS D17.1 and decided it was, well I already addressed that point. So, they reactivated MIL-STD-2219 and revised it. As far as I knew, it was still in effect. I could be wrong because as I said, it has been a while.

If your employer decides to include AWS D17.1 in the project specs, stay with it and don't try to mix the requirements from a couple of different welding standards. It is too confusing to your customers and to your vendors. Just make sure your drawings include the proper weld class. There are steps you can take to ensure everyone is singing from the same sheet of music. Include a matrix on your drawing that includes joint numbers for each weld joint, the joint type, base metal, weld class, and inspection requirements. Once you have reviewed a drawing or two and attempt to compile the matrix you will see the weaknesses in your drawing call outs.

Welding symbols are usually a weak link, so spend some time making sure the symbol is correct. ASME has a good short course that spends a good deal of time on welding symbols if you are weak in that area (PD359 Practical Welding Technology). Use the tail of the welding symbol to assign a joint number to each and every joint that corresponds to the numbers used in your matrix. This system allows you to assign different weld classes to each joint. There is no reason to require all welds to be class A if it is unnecessary. The matrix will also allow you to specify the WPS (for in-house work only) or the filler metal and welding process, as well as the inspection requirements.

Good luck. My e-mail address is listed in my profile if you need help.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / What is being used in place of MIL-STD-2219A