Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finally getting my CWI !!
- - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 03:13
Well, after 36 years in the trade, I am finally going to get my CWI. I am going through Real Educational Services to the December class in Houston. Class is 10 days and starts on the 7th. Last day is the 18th and Test on the 19th. Sure hope I don't have much trouble !! They suggest using the API 1104 Code for the class. I hear the Part B is the toughest part. I figure it is ONLY 35 pages and Hell, I can memorize 35 pages !!
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-12-2015 05:48
Good to hear from you Dwayne, and congratulations on your latest challenge. Preparation and confidence, you'll get er done! Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 13:22
I feel pretty good about it. I have been inspecting to API 4G under a PhD Engineer for a number of years now. PLUS, Lawrence is right around the corner from the Class I am going to and we are going to meet up. I am sure he will have some Advice for me.
Parent - - By Stoney (*) Date 10-12-2015 13:29
Just remember Part B is a fake code so turn off your "knowledge" of D11./API1104 when you do this part of the test.
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 14:26
Stoney, I have a few good buddies who are all CWI's. They have DRILLED that into my head over the last month about the "Fake" code aspect of this. Which causes me to wonder, WHY do they put you through it ? BUT, I guess it is like taking a Branch Test. It can keep you from getting a Job but you will NEVER use it !
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-12-2015 14:51
Good day Cactus,

The Part B is to prove that you can open any code book even without ever seeing it before and complete inspections to it, not going by memory and getting codes all crossed up and insisting on something that isn't in the code you are using.

Plus, that is only part of it, the balance just proves you know how to correctly measure welds and discontinuities as well as have a working knowledge of test lab procedures and NDT equipment.

Pretty basic.  You will do just fine.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 15:16 Edited 10-12-2015 16:36
Brent, Thanks for the Info. I have also been told that Part B is tough due to the "Fine Print" as well as the Subsections to a particular Statement. For the last 2 or so years, I have been working with a Law Firm out of Houston that practices in the Oil and Gas Fiduciary Litigation aspect. I have become Well Versed in deciphering Law and Penal Codes which is FULL of Subsections and Tricky Statements. I am actually looking forward to trying my skills on the Part B part of this test. I actually find it hard to believe that it can be so difficult. With that being said, I am NOT in ANYWAY trying to be "Cocky" about it. I guess all of the years I have spent in the Field dealing with all of this as well as working with Engineers over the past several years gives me a lot of Confidence.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-12-2015 17:09
It sounds like you are well prepared for the examinations. I would say "best of luck", that that isn't the secret. Studying and being prepared is and it would appear you are. Knock em over my friend!

Al
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-12-2015 22:46
Cactus,

Al, Lawrence, and myself (as well as others) could swamp you with info to prep you for this.  But, if you use the 'Search' function here especially for 'Part B' you will find many past posts guiding people with info to help them prep.

Good luck, but you don't need luck, you've got wisdom and experience on your side.  Not a newbie to all of this even if you aren't a CWI currently.

Brent
Parent - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 23:13
Thanks to all of you !! And Brent, I have already called Lawrence and he is right around the corner from where the Class is and where I will be staying ! I already have and invite for Supper one night while I am there !!
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 10-12-2015 18:20
I tested to the API 1104 code as well, piece of cake! Also, that part of the exam is "open book" so you really don't need to memorize much, other than maybe the general structure of the code book so you can look things up faster. Good luck!
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-12-2015 23:15
I was told by a Friend that the 1104 Code Section as well as the Part B are both open book. Is that correct ?
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-13-2015 01:34
Yes, The Part B is open using the Part B Book of Specifications, available on line at AWS as a free download. 

The Part C is open using the Code Book of your choice, API 1104, D1.1, D1.5, D15.1, etc. 

Only the Part A General Knowledge exam is closed book. 

Brent
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-13-2015 01:44
Real Educational Services sent the Free Download for Part B. It is only 35 pages so I took it to Kinkos and had a Book made. Sure is easier than fumbling through stapled pages !!!
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 10-26-2015 14:25
Cactus,

Took the CWI seminar/test last week. My recommendations STUDY D1.1 and WIT. Do not try and study all the downloads and extra stuff that you find on the internet or from are AWS brothers. I had stacks of stuff. It will turn your brain into mush, literally.
Highly recommend to take CWI test prep. I didn't have a chance to do this.

We had a study group each night from 7-9pm a few guys on there 2nd try.

Know the testing methods - Brazing/Soldering for some reason.

I must say our instructor was very good, but needs to stick to an agenda which moves very fast.

Good luck!!
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 10-12-2015 22:39
Sure, don't get cocky... but don't get too nervous about it, either.  I went in for an endorsement earlier this year and the guy next to me was drippin' sweat all over his bubble-sheet!  With your experience I'll bet you kill it.  Especially with a 10-day seminar. 
Good luck!
Parent - By bb29510 Date 10-15-2015 02:59
I got my cwi through Real education, three years ago. Gerald and linda are good teachers. just remember to eat your dessert first.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Finally getting my CWI !!