Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification on AWS D1.1_2010-Table 4.1 , 4.5 & 4.6
- - By Nalla (***) Date 10-13-2015 06:11 Edited 10-16-2015 07:40
Dear Sirs

Pls clarify

Table 4.1- WPS/PQR qualified in 3G Position=

Production Plate Welding Qualified - Groove CJP/PJP & Fillet - Vertical only

Production Pipe Welding Qualified - Butt Joint - CJP/PJP( Outside Dia 20" and above ) - Vertical only

Production Box Tube Welding Qualified- Fillet - Vertical only

Table 4.5 #27) A change in position not qualified by Table 4.1- Require New WPS/PQR Qualification

Table 4.5 #30) Vertical Welding: For any pass from uphill to downhill or vice versa-Require New WPS/PQR Qualification

Whereas in Table 4.6-PQR Supplementary Essential Variable Changes for CVN Testing Applications Requiring WPS Requalification for SMAW, SAW, GMAW, FCAW, and GTAW

Table 4.6 -Position # 6 -A change in position to vertical up. A 3G vertical up test qualifies for all positions and vertical down.

In my opinion both Table 4.1 & 4.5 contradicts with Table 4.6 # 6  Statement.

My understanding is if my WPS/PQRs qualified with certain CVN testing in 3G position, I can use it for for all Production weld positions -Plan , Horizontal, Vertical-Up, Vertical down and Overhead positions.

Pls refer AWS D1.1 Interpretation - AWS Log D1.1-06-I11b and advise if my understanding as above is correct.

Thanks
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-19-2015 18:53
Table 4.6 is supplementary variables for CVN testing. Key words being supplementary and CVN testing. You are testing the filler material inputted with different variables and testing it. To do CVN testing on filler material deposited in the 3g position they do not care whether you put it in going up or down. You should still yield the same required CVN test results regardless. Not sure I explained that to the T like some of the other vets might, but hopefully you get my drift.
Parent - By In Tension (**) Date 10-19-2015 20:58
As Kix says, "Supplementary" is the key word, and means "in addition to" the essential variables as defined in Table 4.5.  So, if you have a WPS requiring impacts that was qualified uphill, you would not need to requalify a downhill procedure per Table 4.6 but would still require requalification per Table 4.5, item #30.  Table 4.6 is only concerned with variables that affect impact toughness, as in welding uphill as opposed to downhill (increased heat input).  When impacts are invoked the variables of BOTH Tables need to be addressed and satisfied.
- - By Des84 Date 10-21-2015 09:46
I need to clarify regarding ASNT.

Now a days I'm following a course of ASNT Level 2. PT, MT, UT, & RT in AEA Sri Lanka. But I need to become a CWI level 2.

1. Is ISNT recognised by ASNT? Because ISNT is the Sri Lankan coordinator.
2. What are the further steps that I should follow to become a CWI?

Kindly help me.
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-26-2015 15:34
Des84,

What you have done here is what we call trying to High Jack a thread. You aren't supposed to ask for help in someone else's topic. You need to apply this question in another area of discussion that best suits it's related topic. Good luck. :grin:

Kix
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Clarification on AWS D1.1_2010-Table 4.1 , 4.5 & 4.6