Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New Opportunity For CWI Study
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-13-2015 16:50
OK.  It is about time this came together.

If you have not noticed, AWS bought out the outfit that used to be in charge of our technical distribution and brought it in house.  Hopefully this will HELP streamline some things with the ordering of materials.

But, this is the best item I have seen for those preparing for CWI exams.

YOU CAN NOW SIGN UP FOR THE SEMINAR AND EXAM AND THEY WILL MAIL YOUR BOOKS DIRECTLY TO YOU SO YOU CAN BEGIN TO STUDY EARLY. 

YOU MUST ALSO SIGN UP FOR THE ONLINE CWI PREP COURSE WHICH HAS PRETTY GOOD REVIEWS.

WHEN SIGNING UP FOR BOTH THE ONLINE CLASS IS DISCOUNTED; ONE DISCOUNT FOR BEING AN AWS MEMBER, ONE FOR SIGNING UP FOR THE COMBO PREP COURSES.

So:

1) Sign up for AWS Membership ASAP to get the best prices on everything;
2) Sign up for the COMBO Prep Class for CWI;
3) Go through the online classes with your books at your side;
4) Go to the seminar and DON'T FORGET YOUR BOOKS BECAUSE THEY WON'T HAVE THEM AT THE SEMINAR FOR YOU!!

You no longer need to buy two sets of materials in order to study ahead of time.

Get to work and Good Luck.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Scrap15 Date 10-24-2015 11:23
Does the prep course have any good material for the Part B specification?
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 10-24-2015 20:09
No it does have NDT info that will be on Part A. For Part B just learn the Book of Specs just like you do with D1.1 or API..
It's good they are offering this now but I would just buy every book and study for as long as it takes, THEN sign up for your exam. Take it before Feb cause Part B should be changing around that time and it is an all new beast
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-25-2015 00:18
I would not have been quite so blunt with a 'NO' as I feel all material has value and is good material for every part of the exam.  But, I understand where it comes from and there is a good portion of truth to it.

The best outside study for the Part B is a course offered at FabTech called Advanced Visual Inspection.  It will give you a lot of insight into what will be on the exam and how to perform inspections on the plastic samples.

Other than that, I agree with self study, seminar, and exam. 

I was merely bringing to everyone's attention the new option to get your books early and for some the combo class is a great way to get added study that will not lead you astray.  Many get misconceptions when doing self study without proper guidance.

Brent
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 10-26-2015 12:49
Brent,
Went through the CWI seminar/test last week in Des Moines, Iowa. All books were supplied (surprised) and a package of measuring tools as well.
Although, I recommend WIT, D1.1 to study months before you take the exam. This is no joke stuff!! Too say the least.

I would highly recommend attending a CWI test prep AWS, Hobart, etc. I didn't have the opportunity...

In the fundamentals test alone at least 50% + questions on brazing/soldering -Huh, RT-UT - ET, etc. This was breezed through during the seminar.

There are a couple downloaded copies that each student will need to bring. Can't remember off hand  I still haven't recouped from last week.
Any questions are welcome.

Take Care -
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-26-2015 14:41
All books would have been supplied to every student because the new system has not actually had time to make a difference yet.  Once people have time to sign up for both the online class and the pre-test seminar so that they are sent their books ahead of time, they will no longer be getting copies at the seminar.  That will present a logistics nightmare as people will forget their books, not all students will sign up for both ahead of time so some will have their books and others won't, etc. 

But, not my problem.  I'm not the AZ Cert Comm Chair anymore.

It only seems like 50% were on brazing/soldering because that was what you knew least about.

Thanks for the info. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 10-26-2015 19:08
You are probably right with the brazing/soldering 20 yrs ago maybe. When the test is front of you panic sets in quickly.
Just a note for ALL who are thinking of retesting our instructor did mention the change to D1.1 2015 will be coming between 1/1 - 5/1.
The rumor is the CWI exam will change as well. B possible increasing to 4-hrs.

-Thanks
Parent - By mwmw (**) Date 10-27-2015 03:54
Yea i can see people forgeting their books when its time for the seminar. AWS is looking at testing facilities like API does for their exams to start giving the Part A exam by itself ahead of time. I guess since the Part B is going to be longer they decided it was too much to test in one day.......or that you have to pass part A before you can sign up for Part B and C
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / New Opportunity For CWI Study