Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Shear counter
- - By aevald (*****) Date 10-14-2015 16:48
Well apparently this is the section where this sort of stuff should go, so here it is. I know that many of you out there are often tasked with cutting multiples of different sized parts on your shears and for many this is a simple matter and keeping "counts" is a breeze. For others, such as myself, we need a little bit of help. I finally got around to rigging one of these up on our shear here at the school. I had had this old counter for a couple of years now and it had been floating around to various locations in my home shop (got it at a flea market or garage sale years ago). The stroke of the shear is considerable, hence the link and spring assembly to provide for full travel without pulling things apart. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By dick (**) Date 10-27-2015 09:05 Edited 10-28-2015 02:18
Good idea and a neat little linkage system making it happen. Used one similiar to yours (I believe I got it off an old square baler) to count sheep as I sheared them, a really long time ago.
Dick
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-27-2015 14:32
Thanks Dick, it isn't so much that this sort of thing is necessary in our facility, however, it's also nice to show some of the options that folks might find out in the trades. I am terrible at keeping track of numbers, especially when interruptions often occur, so I need all the help that I can get. I imagine that I am not the only one is this boat. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-27-2015 23:18
Interesting set up Allan.  Don't know how I missed it until today. 

Looks like the counters on the Freeman, Case, and other balers I am familiar with also. 

Good old American ingenuity.

Brent
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 10-28-2015 03:53
Hello Brent, wouldn't surprise me to find out that it had come off of just such a machine. All I know is it doesn't require me to use my fingers, thumbs, and toes. Life is good, and speaking of good, how's that boy of yours doing? Hopefully all is well and he's on the mend. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / Shear counter