Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS woes: Sucessfull PQR, can I use it for X thickness?
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-15-2015 18:43
Hey All

Quick question for ya, we have here a PQR that tested a 27mm plate.. I have the test records, which show sucess with 4 transverse side bends, 2 reduced section tensile test and a few others.

My question is, can I use the setting/processes from this PQR to build a WPS for 11mm plate?

In table 4.2, page 139 of D1.1:2010 we see "WPS Qualification - CJP Groove Welds: Number and type of Test Specimens and Range of Thickness and Diameter Qualified (Dee 4.5) (Dimensions in millimeters)

Part 1 Tests on Plate shows

That if the Nominal Plate Thickness (T) Tested was 25 and over -> And there were 2 Reduced Section Tension (See fig 4.14), and 4 Side Bend (see fig 4.13), then the Nominal Plate thickness qualified  is a Minimum of 3mm, and a maximum of Unlimited.

So...is it just that easy? I  can write a WPS using these settings for an 11mm plate, as well as a separate with identical settings for a 30mm plate?

Are there any other factors I should consider?

Thanks!
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-16-2015 14:21
As long as it is within the range qualified you're good to go. You can develop several WPSs from one PQR or you can develop one WPS based on several PQRs.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-16-2015 14:32
Cheers! Thanks!
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-19-2015 18:19
Just use a little common sense when writing all your wps's. For example, might not want to put the high end of your electrical parameters qualified as part of the range in your wps for your qualified 10 gauge .135" thick material. (just an example, not saying you're using 10ga material anywhere.) Your travel speed might end up needing to exceed your allotted range. ;-) Keep an eye on the welding going on to see if tweeks to the wps need to be made for consistent quality. Big range, broad WPS's can cause inconsistencies in production.
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / WPS woes: Sucessfull PQR, can I use it for X thickness?