Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding inconel wire- what cert is needed?
- - By cmarzoli Date 10-17-2015 12:10
My crew is welding C22 plate using inconel wire to cover existing, worn carbon steel walls. We have AWS D1.1 and D1.6 welding certifications, but are being told that our certs don't allow us to weld using inconel wire.

Any input on whether this is true or not? If it is, what type(s) of certs do I need?

Thanks for the help.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-17-2015 14:08
Neither D1.1 or D1.6 cover the base metal combination you are welding.

By rights, if the contractor has an option to follow D1.1 or D1.6, the WPS should be qualified. I would opt to qualify the WPS to D1.6. Once the WPS is qualified, each welder would be qualified to that WPS using the base metal and filler metal combination used for construction.

If the contractor was permitted to use ASME, the same would still hold true unless the welders were tested using F4X filler metal. Again, the WPS would have to be qualified first.

Even if the Owner/Engineer isn't requiring the WPS to be qualified by testing, I believe it is advantageous to qualify the welders using the same welding process, base metal combination, and with the same filler metal that will be used in production.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / welding inconel wire- what cert is needed?