Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Military to Civilian Certification
- - By HessellT01 Date 10-19-2015 01:50
Hello,

I am currently a welder in the military and am new to the forum and interested in getting information on a Civilian Welding Certification. I am not very educated on the topic and am open to all information. Are there several different types of Welding Certifications? Is it possible to transfer over to a Civilian Welding Certification easily? Again, I am uneducated on this process and curious if anyone has any information to help me out, such as the actually step process on what I should plan to do for my future? Any information would be great!

Thank you,

Tom
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-20-2015 11:48
First off, let me thank you for your services and 2nd, I'll take a stab at a couple of your questions.

Are there several different types of Welding Certifications? Yes, there are many different types of certifications. To be quick and to the point, there are codes and specifications you work to in the civilian world and there are qualification/"certifications" tests to those codes and specifications. Different companies in the civilian world work to different codes and specifications. Some companies work to multiple and others, only one if any.

Is it possible to transfer over to a Civilian Welding Certification easily? Yes, for the most part. The welding tests you had to take in the military will be very similar if not exactly what you will have to take in the civilian world. Most of the military codes and specifications were derived around the commercial/"civilian" code specifications and the qualification tests/"certification tests" are pretty much the same.

Again, I am uneducated on this process and curious if anyone has any information to help me out, such as the actually step process on what I should plan to do for my future? In a nutshell, get your resume put together and any of your military welding qualification/"Certification" documentation together and start applying for work. Welders are in demand out there. Maybe not exactly in your area, but out there. Your previous qualifications/"Certifications" will help you get your foot in the door at a company to take a welding test. What those previous certs will show the employer is that they will not be wasting there time bringing you in to take a test to there procedures that were developed IAW the code/specifications they work to. I'll give you a break down. You have the code/specification a company works to, you have welding procedures (Recipes I call them) developed IAW those code specifications, and then you have the welders/brazers qualified/"certified" to those procedures. Same as in the military. These are all company specific for the most part. In saying that, your qualification test records should not transfer over to another company depending on the company and code you are working to. The reason you didn't get a lot of takers on this thread is because they probably wanted you to search on your own for the anaswer. You will have to search more on this topic to get further detail and there is a lot of detail on these forums believe me on that. Anywho, best of luck to ya man.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-20-2015 16:15
Kix did a pretty good job of describing what you can expect. Nice write up Kix.

Al
Parent - - By Cactusthewelder (*****) Date 10-20-2015 23:52
In Addition to what KIX wrote, Keep in mind that your Certification only opens the door for you to test elsewhere. 9 out of 10 places you go to work will have you test to their specs anyway. Your Certs will stack up in a folder like the rest of us have. Most of them will never be used again outside of a specific Job or Company.
Parent - - By HessellT01 Date 10-22-2015 03:07
Thank you for the replies. I really appreciate it. I still have three years until I get out, but enjoy welding and would like to plan ahead. I will be gradually browsing these forums to find out more information. I am still a little confused, but definitely have a better understanding of how the certifications go. I was not sure  if I should enroll in  welding courses that they have at some of the community colleges around here. (San Diego).

Thanks again,

Tom
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-22-2015 03:36
I know some of the instructors in the San Diego area, very good people with good programs.  I'll try to get some names for you.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-22-2015 11:25
When you get to the point of exiting or nearing it check out "Helmets to Hardhats" a good program to help military men and woman transition into the civilian world. Tried it out myself and seemed pretty good but found work elsewhere on my own.

Extra courses at the community college might be good depending on what kind of training you had in the military. I'd say if the military will pay for the courses, I'd take them just because plus it won't hurt to have those college credits.
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-23-2015 03:49
I been trying to hire a returning vet myself and you wouldn't believe the dead ends i have found.  Anyone know where i can find a returning vet looking for an entry level position in the structural welding fabrication field?
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2015 04:34
Hello Dualie, coming from an "educator", have you been to any of the community college/tech schools in your area? Some of them have Veterans Services offices associated with their campus's. On our campus we have one of these offices and they and we try to work together to help with questions, concerns, and the nuts and bolts of how to make these folks feel welcome into our programs. Just recently, at our advisory committee meeting the "helmets to hardhats" program came up, as local companies are looking for reliable folks to put to work. I would think that if you gave them a call (the veterans services office) or dropped by that they might be able to connect you with some of the very same folks that you are looking for. I realize that you may have already been down this road and if so, simply disregard what I have to say. Good luck and best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-23-2015 04:37
I have dropped by our local community college and spoke with the welding program director, they had plenty meat in the seat "welders" but no one i would call motivated to learn a trade.   I will look up my local veterans service office.    We are a small fabricator erector and just looking for someone reliable that isnt afraid to get outside his comfort zone and learn some things
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 10-23-2015 06:05
Yes Dualie, I do understand about the "motivation" issues. It is very ironic that, at a time when companies are screaming their heads off for "motivated" individuals that, even that trait is often few and far between. Well I do hope that you are successful in your hunt. Sometimes it's just a waiting game for things to fall into place. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Dualie (***) Date 10-23-2015 06:31
im tired of the "warm bodies" game.  Im to the point where i would rather have a select group of individuals that are happy to be there vs a large organization of people doing nothing but the bare min
Parent - - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-23-2015 10:37
Get online and go the Helmets to Hardhats site. They should have a local guy near you that you can contact, you can get on their site as an employer. I'm not sure how to do that but when I was looking for a job years ago there were lots of employers on there. The rep was cool and helpful as well.

"Warm bodies", lol! That's one reason I don't even worry about hiring anybody anymore.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-23-2015 15:43
Me too, can't even find warm bodies they move so slow.  Motivated, a thing of the past for dinosaurs like us.

Brent
Parent - - By HessellT01 Date 10-24-2015 05:25
I appreciate the responses and will definitely take a look into the "Helmets into Hardhats" program, as well as the courses that are available around the area.

Tom
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-26-2015 13:07
Like said above, if the military will pay for you to take some welding classes at your local community college, do it. Do it at the same time you are looking for work. This is an ace in your pocket because you can practice the tests your potential employer may say they are going to give you at an interview. You also want to stay fresh and practice the tests you will potentially get for the field you are pursuing. For example, if you want to pursue being a pipefitter, practice taking pipe tests on 2"sched 160 6010 root/7018 fill and cap and GTAW root/ 7018 fill and cap. Tell your instructor what field you want to pursue and he/she should be able to point you in the right test direction. Also what I failed to mention above, civilian contractors work to military codes on a regular basis so don't forget to put what military codes you have welded IAW and qualified to on your resume. If you don't know, find out and write them down. This will make you look like you're worth something on your resume. Again, best of luck to you.

Kix
Parent - By Cumminsguy71 (*****) Date 10-24-2015 11:10
I find initiative, motivation, thinking ahead are problem areas. Maybe it's the "entitled" generation?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Military to Civilian Certification