Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Crack observed on SAW INCONEL 625 weld bead
- - By vignesh5585 (*) Date 10-21-2015 18:19
Dear All

Our firm has decided to do weld inconel 625 on 110 mm thk cs 516 gr 60 base metal double vee joint with root smaw E7018-1 and rest passes SAW EH10K,But during welding overlay cracks are observed on weld beads
With welding parameter current 500 amps and 34 v with preheat 80 C max

Please suggest some ways to rectify

Regards
Vignesh
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 10-21-2015 22:22
Vignesh,
Perhaps describe the cracks for us.  What orientation and location are they in relation to the bead?  What do they look like?
The only experience I've had with inconel overlay was some time ago, and I don't remember what base metal we were using, but I seem to remember employing a buttering layer.  I'll bet with a little more information some of the more experienced fellas here may have suggestions.
Parent - By Superflux (****) Date 10-22-2015 03:03
A photograph might help along with bead sequence and a detailed joint description.
I know from overlays with Hastelloy that smaller beads work best and as In Tension said, try a buttering technique and finish up with a temper bead down the middle.
Also.
If you are in fact using a double "V", you will need to apply the weld beads from both sides evenly to balance the shrinkage force.
Parent - By js55 (*****) Date 10-22-2015 15:11
So, you are using carbon steel filler to weld a dissimilar between nickel and carbon?
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Crack observed on SAW INCONEL 625 weld bead