Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combining AWS and ABS WPS's
- - By qabaseball Date 10-22-2015 17:08
We have a WPS for GMAW in the G1,F1,F2 positions for AWS ,and we just got a ABS WPS approval of a Fillet weld in the F1,F2 positions , we just added a rev. to the original , with notes from the ABS surveyor that the WPS he/she stamped was for 1/4" fillet welds only(we only did a single sided test plate ,as per surveyors wish), and on our WPQR we did a single sided 5/16" fillet weld plate(fig.4.37) -----now my question when I make up the WPQR should I also make notes that state it is for single fillet weld only, seeing that we didn't do a multi-pass coupon (fig.4.19 ,p174) for the WPS .
Parent - By Kix (****) Date 10-26-2015 13:54
I will attempt to answer the one question you have in your post. The answer is "yes", you need to notate in the PQR documentation that your qualification coupon was only for a single pass. You might, should have, could have, done both multipass and single pass on the same coupon so you could do multipass runs on your projects as well. Right now you are limited on your WPS to single pass welds only per AWS D1.1.

Kix.
- - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2015 18:58 Edited 10-26-2015 19:20
The notation 1G, 1F, 2G, 2F, etc. denote test positions, not production positions. Production positions are flat, horizontal, vertical, and overhead.

There is also a question with regards to your acronyms. What document are you defining with the abbreviation WPQR?

Keep in mind that the test assemblies for ABS are not always identical to AWS.

Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-27-2015 15:36
Al,

I was under the assumption that he qualified a procedure to AWS D1.1 due to the figures and pages he spoke of matching up. ABS has since approved his AWS procedure for use, but gigged him on the groove welds since he only performed a fillet PQR for single pass only. There appears to only be one question he asked, but after reading it again I think I see another hidden question in that he says he qualified a 5/16" fillet, but the "surveyor" knocked him down to 1/4" fillet for the WPS. The only reason I can think of is to your point, they're holding him to a ABS single pass fillet requirement or to a customer internal specification requirement for single pass fillet sizes. A lot of people to not understand the importance of single pass fillet sizes and how if you go to big for the process being used or the diameter of wire being used, lack of fusion can become prevalent.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-27-2015 15:45 Edited 10-27-2015 17:50
I don't like to respond to hypotheticals or assumptions that are not included in the post. If the writer cannot clearly state the situation, a response based on our assumption is a waste of our time.

You are making assumptions that may or may not be valid. I'm not saying I disagree with what you say, I am simply saying we don't know. There isn't enough concrete information included in the post. Maybe the poster doesn't know, but why should we be forced to guess?

I reviewed the ABS welding requirements in the older edition that I have in my library. There is no reference to AWS D1.1 that I recollect. The cost of qualifying the WPS in accordance with the welding standard invoked by the contract is or should be a minor cost (especially a fillet weld). It is a cost of doing business.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Kix (****) Date 10-28-2015 00:08
Working where I have worked the past 6 years I have learned the language of the layman as to be able to better support my team. My interpretations are not always accurate, so maybe I should just take your approach. In case you haven't noticed, work has slowed down to a point where I can hang out for a minute.:lol:

Kix
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2015 01:08
Idle hands ..........

Al:yell:
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / combining AWS and ABS WPS's