Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / As a CWI, when is a good time to say, "Not worth it."
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 10-26-2015 16:36 Edited 10-26-2015 19:29
Hey All,

Question for ya, at what point do you say, "This employer isn't right for me?"

In my current position, the work isn't unreasonable, but the responses I'm receiving seem to be.

Ex. I've just reviewed our PQR's and WPS, as one is supposed to do, and I've prepared a report of all the issues accompanied by the sections of code that it applies to:

-We have PQR's with Interpass temperatures lower than their preheats,
-Missing means of measuring temperatures, (tempilstik, contact pyrometer, infrared pyrometer)
-A PQR qualifying a tandem electrodes process and a WPS from that PQR that uses a single electrode.
-They do not preheat as per WPS unless an inspector is in house
-A PQR has an identical Preheat and Interpass Temperature (is it possible to Not heat a weldment while welding? I'm of the strong opinion that it's not)
-Our repair passes were qualified in vertical, but our repairs are all overhead (about 40° past vertical)
-A WPS is missing it's supporting PQR and I was initially asked asked to 'build a PQR from the WPS and the successful test results we have.'
-8010 Rod exposed to the atmosphere for near a year (they are convinced an oven at 250°F at 8 hours is good enough)
-A welder qualification plate was UT scanned and failed. I was notified before shipping them out. Today I was informed that the plate mentioned was re-scanned and passed. I went to have the UT form filled out by the operator and they informed me that the plate failed UT. (Granted welder qualification is a bit different)

Thoughts? Or is this kind of consistent 'conversation' the standard?

At current, my thought is, if we can acknowledge everything that is wrong, and move forward (Specifically with PQR's) by testing properly and documenting properly, we'll be able to get back to 0.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-26-2015 19:37 Edited 10-26-2015 19:39
You pulled the short straw and have the opportunity to work for an employer that is either crooked as a mountain path or dumber than a bucket of rocks. You can go to upper management, i.e., the CEO or the Owner and make a case. Do they want to improve their operations or not? If not, then you have a decision to make. If they want to improve, you have your work cut out for you because there is an existing corporate culture that has to be overcome.

As the CWI you have a responsibility to call the shots as you see them. If the work is not in accordance with the code invoked by the customer, you do not sign for the work. Accept or reject the work based on code requirements. If you cannot support your position based on the appropriate code, you are on weak ground. If you can back your position based on a code provision, stand your ground.

I once worked for a contractor that simply could not be trusted. The shop supervisor performed an unauthorized repair over the weekend while I was not on-site. I asked the supervisor three times whether the repair was performed or not. He lied three times to my face. I took the matter to the owner of the company and he lied as well. When pressed he made the comment that he would always back the supervisor, a long time personal friend. I told him there was no way I wanted my name associated with his. I told him I was all done.

He said, "You're giving me your two week notice?"

I told him no. I told him to look around my office. He said, "Where's your computer and all your books?"

I said, "All my stuff is in my car." and said my good byes. The CFO said, "I wish I had your balls to walk out without a blinking an eye, but I have a family to think about."

I responded, "So do I."

Sometimes you just have to do the right thing. The CWI credential and reputation is more important to me than a good recommendation from the owner of that company.

Best regards - Al
Parent - By Duke (***) Date 10-27-2015 00:40
It takes years to build a good reputation, and seconds to destroy it.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 10-27-2015 01:41
I will take a moment to also say there is definitely a line in the sand time.  You must determine when and where that is. 

One point from your list though, yes, depending upon the thickness, overall size, and ambient temperature it is entirely possible to have a part loose heat between passes.  There are many cases where heat/preheat is added during the whole welding procedure in order to keep the temp where it needs to be.  Once the operation is started the temps really should be kept between the preheat temp and the maximum if there is one due to seismic code involvement (other situations as well but that is a main one for structural).

While the welding arc is generally much higher in temperature than the torch flame used for preheating the part it is applied for a very short amount of time.  Then, with convection, radiation, thermal conductivity, etc it may not take long at all for the part to be lower in temp than the preheat.  A large enough part will actually be cooler on occasion because of time, weather, and other factors. 

So, while you are correct that while welding heat is added it is still possible to have a preheat and interpass temp that is the same.  It only means that the applicable code and/or the job specs desire/demand the maintaining of that particular heat for the entire process at that joint. 

If a part is heated, the root welded, lunch taken, heated, welded some more, welder takes a smoke break, heated, welded some more, etc the base material goes through expansion and contraction and develops a larger heat affected zone with stresses built in that can be detrimental.  It is better for all concerned to maintain the interpass temp at the minimum stated for the preheat to begin with.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By emmamegan1983 Date 11-28-2016 04:38
[deleted]
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-28-2016 13:37
????
Up Topic Welding Industry / Welding Fundamentals / As a CWI, when is a good time to say, "Not worth it."