Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Welder performance qualification
- - By jsdwelder (***) Date 10-28-2015 14:54
Can a welder performance qualification test (groove weld) be accomplished on material thickness other than 3/8" or 1" in order to be compliant with AWS D1.1 specifications? I just read something that made me think my thinking on this was incorrect.
Parent - - By msharitt (**) Date 10-28-2015 15:18
You said D1.1, I'm going to step out on a limb and say this is plate and not tubular?

I'm sure someone will chime in with a little more experience but I thought I'd throw out the way I understand it. 4.19.2.1 refers you to table 4.11. I look at table 4.11, the second groove listed is for plate thickness(T) 3/8"<T<1". That would be a plate greater than 3/8", less than 1" and the Qualified range would be 1/8" minimum - 2T max. The way I understand it is if the welders' test plate was 3/4" the max would be 1 1/2". That will work for any plate size within that range.

There is nothing listed as a test less than 3/8".

Maybe that is what you was you was after.
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 10-28-2015 15:31
I am referring to plate, not tubular. I was reading a post the other day that Al had commented on and stated that a welder performance test could not use joint configuration B-U2a and thought, well why not? After reading his explanation it made sense to me why not. Because neither figure 4.21 nor Figure 4.31 specify any allowable tolerance on root opening whereas B-U2a does. Having said that it appears to me that Table 4.11 also contradicts both figures 4.21 and 4.31 by allowing test material other than 3/8" or 1". Am I missing something? Has opened my eyes to welder performance testing to say the least.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2015 15:57
The standard performance tests for initial qualification are as per the figures in D1.1, but the employer can require/impose additional performance tests. The thickness limitations of table 4.11 apply when "nonstandard" thicknesses are used.

If the welder utilized a nonstandard thickness for the purpose of qualifying a WPS, the constraints of table 4.11 would be applicable as far as the extents of the welder's qualifications are concerned.

I do not see any provisions for utilizing a nonstandard coupon thickness for the initial welder qualification while reviewing the applicable figures. However, in figures 4.27, 4.28, and 4.29 (tubulars) the thicknesses are listed as minimums. The same is not true for plate tests depicted in figures 4.30, 4.31, or 4.32.

I would not loose any sleep if the employer opted to utilize "job thickness" plate for the qualification test provided the constraints of table 4.11 were observed and the groove details, i.e., groove angle and root opening, are maintained. As a condition for accepting nonstandard thicknesses, I would expect the bend radii used for the guided bend test to be adjusted for thicknesses less than 3/8 inch. 

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By jsdwelder (***) Date 10-28-2015 16:37
Thanks Al. Also 4.22 states that the welding personnel shall follow a WPS applicable to the qualification test required. Is an AWS SWPS considered an applicable WPS? Can AWS SWPS B2.1-1-016-94R be utilized to perform welder qualification tests? It covers a range of 1/8" to 1 1/2". Or is a welder performance test expected to follow a WPS that is designed just for testing? and if that's the case can it be a WPS that is prequalified in accordance with clause 3 or does it need to be supported with a PQR?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-28-2015 17:38 Edited 10-28-2015 18:19
A SWPS can be used, but the welder must adhere to/work within the parameters without exception.

As to the specific SWPS, I cannot respond since I do not have access to it without buying it. I have not had much success using SWPSs on other projects. For the most part they meet the requirements from an engineer's perspective, but do little for the welder.
SWPSs misses the boat in my opinion.

For most applications involving AWS D1.1, a prequalified WPS is better suited to meet the welder's needs. It isn't that difficult to write a prequalified WPS that is specific to welder qualification.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By Jarhead1 (**) Date 10-29-2015 12:33
Refer to  D1.1 Clause 2 (pre-qualification) and Clause 4 (qualification) or WIT book review chapter 5. Easier read.

This should have all the info you wil need.

Good Luck..
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-29-2015 20:51
Did you intend to cite clause 3?

With regards to clause 4; it is the Engineer (representing the Owner) that has the prerogative to permit the use of SWPS. It is not a given, nor a blanket approval. 

Al
- By cyril Erim Date 10-30-2015 14:38
Greetings to you all my great and experienced welders, am new in the system, and I want to ask on how to a  present seminar on" stoving techniques of pipeline welding" please can someone help?
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / D1.1 Welder performance qualification