Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Minimum piping porosity diameter size
- - By Newt18 (*) Date 10-29-2015 20:25
Good day all. I have a question on minimum porosity size for cyclically loaded nontubular and tubular connections. We are inspecting to D1.1 2010 code book. Previously I have only inspected to static load criteria. My company is developing a project that calls for inspecting to cyclically loaded nontubular and tubular connections. Is there a minimum size for piping porosity diameter?
      Thanks for reading and will appreciate any help.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-29-2015 20:55
Are you concerned with VT only or are you considering the criteria applicable to other forms of NDT?

Al
Parent - - By Newt18 (*) Date 10-30-2015 12:50
Thanks for replying Al. Yes, we are concerned only with VT. Table 6.1 is a little confusing. Under (8) porosity, we use paragraph (A) I can't determine if the 1/32"  minimum for piping porosity carries over to (B) and (C) or not.
   Does anyone know if table 6.1 has changes to porosity in the new 2015 codebook?

Thanks for reading.
Parent - By 803056 (*****) Date 10-30-2015 13:02
No idea about the 2015 edition.

You elected to use the criteria for connections that are nontubular and statically loaded. So, only the first paragraph, A, applies. If you have a CJP groove weld, no piping porosity is permitted. For all other welds, only porosity larger than 1/32 inch in diameter has to be considered. Now, be careful, the code is [url=]only concerned with piping porosity[/url]. There is a definition in Annex K to clarify what piping porosity is.

Each paragraph, A, B, and C, are independent of the other.

Best regards - Al
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Minimum piping porosity diameter size