Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PT Endorsement...
- - By In Tension (**) Date 11-02-2015 22:50
Do any of you AWS insiders know what happened with the Dye Penetrant endorsement that was supposedly in the works?  To my knowledge there were a few rounds of beta testing and the idea fizzled.  Personally, I was dubious about the whole thing in the first place (like we really need more discord in our NDE schemes) but somebody recently asked me about it and I told them I would look into it.  What's the status on this?  Did any of you take the betas and, if so, how did you think it stacked up against established programs like CP-189/ACCP?  Were there classroom and experience requirements?
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-03-2015 01:39
I took the Beta (and passed!).

To my knowledge to program is still on track, but before it can be offered, arrangements have to be made to conduct the testing under controlled conditions with test samples that are identical no matter where the test is taken.

It meets the requirements of ASNT-TC-1A and CP-189 with regards to the examination administered and the test scores required to pass.

AWS becomes the certifying agency.

The advantage is that the certification is transportable and is the equivalent to a Level II, but limited to the solvent removable  method.
Parent - - By In Tension (**) Date 11-03-2015 20:52
Congratulations!  I'll bet it looks really good on your resume, right next to your ACCP Professional Level III's.:yell:
Good to know, thanks for the update, Al.  I think it's interesting that AWS would do this.  I wonder if it will gain traction.  Also, I appreciate that it's probably a very difficult exam to standardize... lots of variables to consider and Practical specimens to vet.  Limiting it to the solvent-removable method is probably wise for the time being.
I'll pass this information on to those who were asking.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-03-2015 22:31
:lol:

I had a fair amount of concern as to if Al could pass such a test being a lowly level III in so many disciplines.  :eek:

Having taken both the ICC exam for bolting and the AWS Bolting endorsement I think the AWS exam was far superior other than you don't take the blueprint reading at the same time.  They need to combine them instead of making it only bolting.

But, considering the requirements for bolting inspectors it isn't really an issue.

Said that just to say that AWS does a very good job putting exams together.  The question is how needed/necessary some of them are.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By Golden Arm (*) Date 01-05-2016 13:39
I got a flyer in the mail just the other day with AWS advertising both PT and MT endorsements. I'm interested in both of those as well as film interpretation. IMHO code book endorsements are nothing more than money grabs by AWS however skills endorsements are needed and valuable to the holder.
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / PT Endorsement...