Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Effeciently plug welding studs
- - By msharitt (**) Date 11-03-2015 21:30
My shop is faced with the task of plug welding a stud into a wear plate. 3/8" wear plate, 1/2" stud recessed 3/16" into the 9/16" hole in the AR plate. I'm not questioning the welding aspect of this and we have already suggested just shooting the studs. The customer want's this design no matter what. So one way or another we are plug welding studs. My question is does anyone have any ideas on how to do this effectively and productively? Some parts are small and easily done. Other plates are 15'x12' with 150 holes in them.

Has anyone has any success creating a fixture or anything to set the stud at the proper depth and square every time? Thanks
Parent - - By Paladin (***) Date 11-04-2015 01:32
Can you first tack on the top side, not the plug side, then turn over for welding plugs?
Are the studs headed, threaded?
How long?

What is acceptable square, 1/8 on 6 inches or 0.0156 on 6 inches?

Floyd
Parent - By msharitt (**) Date 11-04-2015 13:01
They're only 1 1/2" studs and there is no welding on the stud side. Squareness just has to be able for the plate with 150 holes to slide into another plate with the matching hole pattern.
- By Dualie (***) Date 11-04-2015 06:30
space plate upside down at the proper height and drop the stud right through the hole, if alignment for plumb is a concern use a pipe spacer under the hole to keep the stud vertically in plane.   Weld away when it reaches Total depth.    

Direct message for address to send royalties.
- By Paladin (***) Date 11-04-2015 13:25
Align matching plate under the plate with the studs with both sitting on stands.
Thread nut on stud and insert  up through matching plate.
As you take off nuts a slight love tap on nut should adjust any that may be not perfectly centered.

Floyd
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Effeciently plug welding studs