Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Quick Question: WPS # of passes...
- - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 11-04-2015 17:54
Hey All,

If a WPS has Passes 1-10 detailed, but only 3 are required to complete the joint (Say the PQR was qualified on 25mm plate, and the actual WPS is being applied to a 10mm plate). What are the rules and regulation within D1.1 that state, "We're only using what is necessary." Or...are we to require 10 passes on everything no matter what?

Cheers!
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-12-2015 13:09
Without seeing the actual WPS I'm going out on a limb and saying that the detailed 10 passes is only a general suggestion when the plate thickness doesn't require 10 passes to fill the joint. I would follow the root description if it gives specific attention to the welding parameters and cleaning, etc....then the fill passes(for ever how many it takes) should follow the WPS if the parameters are spelled out differently than the root, and also for the cap, same thing.
Provided this is a D1.1 WPS, you need to stay within the tolerances given in Table 4.5 (Essential Variables requiring requalification of a WPS) so that you don't need to requalify the WPS or write a new WPS.
- By whatever Date 11-12-2015 20:49
I'm pretty new to this but thinking if D1.1 is code being used and if you are staying in the allowable range of material thickness.
As long as you are within the required travel speed on WPS,  number of passes would be ok
- By 803056 (*****) Date 11-14-2015 03:18
Different standards, different requirements.

No code or standard listed, no meaningful answers can be provided.

Rather than the number of passes, you might think about the volume of weld deposited per bead and the number of beads needed to deposit the required thickness.

Al
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / Quick Question: WPS # of passes...