Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting all new.
- - By gustafson Date 11-04-2015 20:04
I'm NEW to all this. I have the opportunity to go to school/training to be taught or shown the correct way to weld. I have minimal experience in this with a basic weld class completed. I decided to pick the school in Neveda, Missouri because the school is reasonably closer/ shorter. I am wanting to work on the pipe line mainly, or do some traveling welding. any and all insight will be appreciated.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-04-2015 23:09
gustafson,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Interesting location choice.  Didn't realize there was anything over there. 

There are probably many schools of higher quality and more respected end results. 

BUT, having said that, it is mostly the student.  You can learn the basics most anywhere and from there it is largely practice, practice, practice.  Sure, the better the program and the better the instructors the more and faster you will learn.  But, if there are other limitations that make it prudent to remain in the area then anything is USUALLY better than nothing.

I'm sure some of our instructor members will chime in here and offer better advice.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Stringer (***) Date 11-05-2015 02:03
gustafson, welcome to the forum! If I may suggest anything, it's the search engine. You can find out so much really usable knowledge in there it should cost money. I've substantially increased my income using this forum and you should, too!
Parent - - By gustafson Date 11-11-2015 14:26
What about certificates, some kind of qualified training? Is there any advice that I should have, not sure what everybody's looking for.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-11-2015 14:55
They are looking for skill, completed appearance, and experience.

The first two aren't that hard to complete and prove.  It's that third one that will be fun.

Names can be important but most important is IF you can do the job. 

Don't try to fill up your resume with too many certificates.  'Jack of all trades, Master of none' is a phrase that comes to mind.  Find out what is most needed and hone those skills to the utmost.

Brent
Parent - - By gustafson Date 11-11-2015 14:24
Any advice on what I should be doing after school? I know look for a job, very willing to apprentice under a more experienced pipeliner? Where would I go to find such a job?
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-21-2015 01:14
Cmon Hillbilly....step up to the plate and take your bat, your world nobody better to answer, painfull or not.
Parent - - By gustafson Date 12-07-2015 14:38
I'm walking to the plate, hillbilly or not, I'm here to swing... wanting to know what is the better route, no experience other then then school I'll be attending..
Parent - By Northweldor (***) Date 12-07-2015 18:19
You are missing the point!

Tommyjoking was referring to a poster on this board who runs a pipeline workshop and school, not to you!
See below, and other postings of Hillbilly's:

https://app.aws.org/forum/topic_show.pl?pid=262629;hl=Hillbilly
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-08-2015 17:11
Yes, take it easy, he was not calling you a hillbilly.  Hillbilly (Stan) is a member of the forum that he was coaxing to participate in this discussion as he is very knowledgeable in this area.

Brent
- - By welderduke Date 12-08-2015 23:30
company is looking at changing from an Argon backpurge to Solar Flux Type B question is - does this require anouther procedure qualification?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 12-09-2015 02:54 Edited 12-09-2015 02:56
Duke,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

A couple of questions:  Process, material, and applicable code.

Would make it a little easier than just throwing an opinion out there.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent

PS: as easy as you found this to be, you really should have started your own thread.  Pick a dept and click on it.  When it opens, go to the 'New Post' button and click.  Enter a title then go down to the main box and type away.  Just leave this one.  If the mods decide they want it moved they can handle it.
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / starting all new.