Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / please help
- - By doquoctoan84 Date 11-07-2015 14:48
Deal all!
I'm a new member.
what do CJP and PJP mean?
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-07-2015 17:41
CJP = Complete Joint Penetration

PJP = Partial Joint Penetration
Parent - By Bowler_Hat (**) Date 11-19-2015 14:30
I 2nd the notion!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-07-2015 19:21
Forgive Lawrence, I've got him rattled right now, where are our manners? 

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
- - By LEE SIMMONS Date 02-23-2016 12:45
What material group (Table 5.2 AWS D17.1) does Jethete belong?
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 02-23-2016 22:48
I don't think Jethete is covered by AWS?
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-24-2016 02:11
Isn't it actually an SS variant?  As such, though you may be working TO D17.1 you may need to incorporate D1.6 into the job.  Don't know if it's there either but you might check.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 02-24-2016 02:16
Found some interesting info on it with a google search. 

Definitely SS. 

So, again, look at D1.6 and see if it is there or how to get it usable with a PQR. 

Brent
- - By Justneed2know Date 06-06-2016 16:16
Pertaining to AWS D1.1 Please define what is meant by "out-of-position" weld?    "  ...7/16 in or less in diameter for out-of-position welds"  Thank you
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 06-06-2016 20:51
"out of position" typically means that the welding position is something other than flat or horizontal.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 06-06-2016 23:42
Okay Just,

As I don't see it in this thread I presume you are 'just needing to know' to satisfy your own curiosity or because of a discussion you have heard, or a part of a code or practice for the exams.

So, you need to forgive us and a good many others.  The phrase 'in position' will be a term used in many places referring to a down flat weld which if it is a fillet weld in a T joint will actually be a horizontal fillet weld.  In that joint the 'T' would be place so each piece forming the joint would be at a 45° angle to get it into the truly 'flat' position which would then be called 'in position'.  For a groove weld both members forming the joint would be flat on the table/floor, etc and the groove would be welded with the electrode pointing down into the groove.  Again, flat and 'in position'. 

So, out of position is any other position; vertical, overhead, or other variants of horizontal which differ from the one that is basically 'flat' for the T joint. 

Where in D1.1 is your reference taken from?

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Technical Standards & Publications / please help