Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Side Bends vs Root/Face Bends
- - By JDubb816 Date 11-09-2015 16:45
Is is possible to replace side bends with root and face bends when doing a qualification on any material over 3/8" per AWS D1.1?  I have a situation in which the initial qualification test was done using the root and face bends and was looking for a little "wiggle room" per the code.  I don't see it anywhere in D1.1 that I've come across, but perhaps there may be something that I'm missing.  Just wanted to check before I begin retesting all my welders. :confused::confused::confused:
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2015 18:04
Hello JDubb816, consider that the "tensile" of bends dictates which mandrel combination is to be used based on elongation factors and not the thickness of those specimens. If you are needing to attempt a "face bend" on some material that is 1" for instance, the correct mandrel combination and the press configuration to make the face and root bends on something of that thickness isn't too likely. Additionally, the neutral axis of a coupon that is 1" thick has likely already put you out of the range of elongation. That's why a side bend on 1" material is cut to a 3/8" thickness. That's my short, non-code supported answer. Others will likely chime in with code specific answers that will site why you cannot do what you are proposing. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By JDubb816 Date 11-09-2015 18:49
Funny you should say that, we actually do have the proper jig configuration to perform the bends, the test was actually on 5/8", A36 material.  I do see the point regarding the elongation, this was my fear indeed.  I do appreciate your quick response though.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-09-2015 19:07
I will look forward to seeing how this shakes out for you. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-10-2015 06:23
The AWS qualification test assemblies are depicted in the various figures. The standard thickness for plate is 3/8 or inch for the groove welds, 1/2 or 3/8 inch thick for the fillets. There is no need to machine the coupons if the guided bend tests described are used.

If one insists on using "job size" for the groove joint thickness, then one can qualify the WPS and machine the specimens taken from the test assembly. Once can remove the root surface when performing the face bend and machine the face surface when doing the root bend. Why anyone would want to? Well, I guess they have their own reason for doing so. Don't forget the volumetric examination and the reduced section tensile tests. If the test assembly passes all the requisite tests, the WPS is qualified as well as the welder that welded it.

Al
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-10-2015 06:57
Thank you for that response Al, I was kinda wondering/figuring if that wouldn't be the case or along those lines. Best regards, Allan
Up Topic Welding Industry / Technical Discussions / Side Bends vs Root/Face Bends