Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Moderators Must Be Tired of Me
- - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2015 02:20
The rest of you guys need to hit the notify button and let the mods know what you think of all the Spam we are collecting on here.

I have been telling them about all the adidas, nike, and fake ID threads and they seem to all still be there. 

Free advertising at AWS for all the world's spam artists.

Brent
Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-10-2015 04:23 Edited 11-10-2015 04:35
Brent I have just reported 6 or 8 posts for spam, and will do again in 6 hours time or so if they are not removed. The powers to be need to allocate more Admins or moderators to this site, it's going under fast! If we fail to see results, maybe letting the appropriate institutions know that certs are available to buy from the AWS web site forum might buck up some ones interest???
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2015 06:31
:lol:

At the moment, I better just go home and get some sleep before I say something I will regret later.

Good night Glyn.

Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-10-2015 12:57 Edited 11-10-2015 13:00
All the mods are at Fabtech,  making sure that each session has 15 fewer tables and chairs than the number signed up for the seminar.

Those who aren't doing that are hiding the books that the presenters are supposed to pass out... The remaining balance of them are at the information booth, giving out wrong directions and laughing their asses off about the whole ordeal.

Fabtech, all hands on deck.!!!

I did the "how's and why's of PQR's" yesterday.... It was a true fiasco

Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 00:01
Lawrence,

Was the seminar that bad?  I thought it had gotten better when I took it the second time.  Of course I organized a major uprising against the first one at FabTech/Chicago 4 years ago.  Did nothing the course description said it was going to do.  Tried to get way too much into only a one day course and spent all day on metallurgy.  The next year they divided it into two sessions with the first half being metallurgy and the second geared more at developing a PQR.  Still not really a WPS, but much better than the first.

Was Dr Scott Helzer the instructor?  Knows his stuff but they need to make it a two day course with one full day for metallurgy and one full day for pure WPS's both approved by testing and prequalified. 

Sounds like time to start a major email campaign to our District Directors and Board members as well as Miami staff.  Maybe we can make enough noise to get some attention, hopefully GOOD attention. 

A list of names and contact info sounds appropriate as soon as they can be rounded up.  I'll see what kind of time I have over the next couple of days but they shouldn't be hard for everyone to find by themselves.

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-12-2015 03:26
Yes, Dr H.

It was a split day... Beginners in AM and Advanced after lunch...

I did this about 11 years ago so only took the 2nd half.

The time was split about equally .... One section 9 case study and the rest of the time trying to sell SWPS's so we won't have to do PQR's in the first place.

I mean it.... Full court press on the SWPS's

I feel no more prepared than I was before the class.

He clearly knows his stuff, and it was equally clear that he was totally unprepared to present it.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 05:00
As Al has commented of late, there seems to be a shift in AWS to convert us to a system that complies with ASME while being so diverse from ASME that they don't really mesh.  B2.1, SWPS's, language changes in all the specs, etc.  Once again it is a case of the big guy changing to comply with the little guy in order to promote tolerance, peace, and unity. 

They are two entirely different entities with differing applications and motives.  LEAVE THEM ALONE AND KEEP THEM SEPARATE. 

It also appears some of those who have said for years that AWS is all about the money were prophets forecasting the future.  I still feel a degree of disagreement knowing how much they spend to accomplish the various tasks given and how much they give us in books and other material at seminars.  Still, why some of these pushes?  Probably spent a lot of money to get the SWPS's in place and no one has utilized them so now they have to try and recoup the losses. 

I think it is time to put some pressure on several District Directors so they get the idea the membership is not on board with many of these changes.  Problem, getting some of the lowly CWI's to serve on committees and Directorships so there is a voice for balance. 

Just like in our nation's governmental system, it is time the people take back over from the inmates before we all become surf's to the Lords.

Off soapbox.  Good night all.

Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 11-12-2015 05:13
If they would simply read their forums they would have this all figured out.
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-12-2015 12:49
This mod isn't :cool: I can't afford to leave work to attend, so..... my boots are still on the ground performing inspection work.
I'm in the office for a few hours this morning and dropped by the forum to see the rash of spam that has hit us.

I took care of everything that I have been given mod rights to and have asked for rights to the newest forum. Thanks for all of the reports, even though you guys may feel abandoned. And thanks again for reporting without replying to the spam threads, that makes it so much easier to delete them out.
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-12-2015 16:16
Thanks John for what you do!
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2015 15:44
Thanks John,  I know how busy you have been and there is nothing in my complaints directed at you.  Miami needs to help us out here and/or give us a couple of more mods with a little bit more ability to handle things.  I liked part of what Tommy was saying.  Other forums I have been on had more people and more handling ability of the content and persons. 

They dumped this thing on us and by all appearances have now totally abandoned us. 

What a shame.  Such a resource ruined.

Brent
Parent - - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-13-2015 16:45
Guys,
There were more of us (mods) at one time, but I believe I am the only one left out of those who were offered and accepted the challenge many years ago. People have come and gone for various reasons. I just don't get the opportunity to open the forum and leave it running all day like I used to at my old employment. It was nice that I was able to do that because I could look in all during the day even while I was doing other paperwork, I would just minimize that screen that the forum was in and keep on working. I do wish the mods had more ability to work around in the forum with the membership rather than simply have the ability to edit posts and to delete threads of spam. I had suggested several methods/degrees of "discipline" for the lack of a better term, but that never came to fruition. I know there were several instances where some folks needed a short time out to sort out their feelings before blasting off argumentative postings and rants. I believe that could have kept order and reduced the chances of the situation steadily escalating into full blown post wars between members. New members see that mess and then become very shy about asking questions for fear of getting their post/question ridiculed. Participation is key, and without that, the forum ceases to be functional. Maybe the ones looking after the forum will once again take interest at some point and help us with our questions and interests.

Thanks to the regulars who help field the questions, your help is highly appreciated.- John
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-15-2015 01:42
I totally forgot you were a moderator john, my apologies!
Parent - - By 52757 (**) Date 11-10-2015 20:38
I brought this to the attention of the AWS President a couple of weeks ago at a seminar. I brought up also how there seems to  be no response from anybody since Ross left. He said he would look into it. Obviously anybody with the name President next to their name you can,t belive.
Parent - - By aevald (*****) Date 11-10-2015 23:11
That is definitely not what you or anyone else wants to hear about this site. HE needs to take interest in your comments and follow through to see that what you have told him gets fixed. Unfortunately you are not in the minority with regard to this site and it is unfortunate that such a great resource isn't on the radar to keep it that way.

I guess that some businesses simply don't communicate well within their own structure, that's really too bad in this case, as those who are participating on this site are made-up of so many of the different areas of interest within AWS. I do hope that they start listening and soon. Best regards, Allan
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-11-2015 23:36
hmmmm  admins and moderators.....

I can volunteer several on this site whom are what you want....level headed and intelligent.  Shall I..?     Most have lives and probably do not need another task to deal with....but someone who has time to spend a little time here can take out the trash easily and quickly. 

For those who do not know running the backend of a forum like this is not really technical once its installed.  It's basic easy to understand stuff.  No rocket building degrees required.  Cmon Brent your my first volunteer....heh heh heh!
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 00:06
Thanks a lot Tommy.  You are such an encouragement.  Not to mention an instigator. 

Who has to volunteer when they have you around to nominate them?  LOL. 

Seriously,  if one is going to make noise, they should be willing to step up and be counted as part of the solution and not just another part of the problem.  If you want to criticize the cook...be ready to do the cooking.

I'm not afraid of helping, but I tend to wait to be asked instead of volunteering, especially since Roque already told us they weren't looking for any help and that they were going to change things even more and make it better....HA!!

- - By Dualie (***) Date 11-12-2015 06:10
how about we just block the term nike?
Parent - By jwright650 (*****) Date 11-12-2015 12:51
Dualie, I like your suggestion....:cool:
- - By msharitt (**) Date 11-12-2015 14:40
Some forums I've been a part of require the first 5-10 post you make have to be approved by a moderator. Since most of the spam is people with a brand new profile it seems that it would have to go through a moderator.

The only downfall would be that newer folks would have to wait for a moderator to approve their first few questions. I guess that would put us in the same boat as waiting on a moderator. Oh well
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 22:36
Interesting idea but John is over worked already.  Nothing here is an attack on him, this is all Miami's doing and they have unqualified people at the helm.  Worse than letting a welder without any certs work on a D1.1 job.

Brent
Parent - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-12-2015 22:54
We need a few tweaks on the forum board and a few more mods,Admins whatever! Simple.It aint rocket science, putting the forum back to how it was is prity much a no-no now!
Parent - - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-13-2015 02:53 Edited 11-13-2015 03:04
msharitt Has A VERY valid idea....don't know if this particular engine will support the paramaters but if so....    Well all that means is a Mod or Admin must approve the first 5-10 posts a NEW user (NEW)  makes.  THat actually will not be as much work as chasing spam looking at the membership and new additions here.   Smart thinking that is.   mwForum may support that option.   Usually the features on this type of engine are pretty deep.

Brent yes I will instigate, procreate and in general stir the pot ....but only in what i consider a positive or semi positive way.  You would make a great admin...just do not know if you can donate the time.   On forums I run before with 4k+ members I would have two super admins besides me and about ten mods.....this one does not have that much traffic.  1 more admin and 5 lucky volunteers could easily keep it clean without the modifications mentioned above inmho.  You just need folks that have the sense to let peeps duke it out a little and only pull the plug when it gets uglyfied.  That leaves me out I am too much a troublemaker.:evil:   BUT I will volunteer to admin the backend to set it up accordingly if it can be done....I owned a web design business for a few years when I thought I was tired of moving metal.  I am not around enough to do more then that.

EDIT:   BY THE USERS FOR THE USERS EH?  AWS.   (Damm sounds like a line from TRON)....  AT any rate people from all over the world come to this forum for sound answers to their particular welding questions.  Good for you AWS you have some willing participants who are world class experts in the field that make this forum a go to solution for quick answers.....that's free advertising for those who are reading this that are blockheaded.  AWS marketing would be smart to give those experts some control on the conversation going on so its clear concise and only related to PROFESSIONAL ethical advice on the subject in question.  I have never worked in promotion or advertising but this seems an easy out to your management of this small part of your promotional wing.  

Thanks for your time and consideration
Tommy
Parent - - By ssbn727 (*****) Date 11-14-2015 04:44
I could be that "huckleberry" :eek::grin::razz::smile::twisted::roll::yell::lol::cool:

Respectfully,
Henry
Parent - By aevald (*****) Date 11-14-2015 05:10
Hey there Henry, it is so great to see your post on here. I certainly hope that life has been a little bit less harsh in recent days. It is really awesome to see your post on here and I hope that you are feeling better, even if it's only a little bit. Very best regards, Allan
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-14-2015 05:34
Welcome aboard Henry.  Good to 'see' you.

Don't overdo it.  Get your rest and get healthy for our sakes.

Parent - - By 46.00 (****) Date 11-15-2015 01:39
God it's good to see you back! Bet you never thought you'd see writing that! Welcome back!
Parent - By Tommyjoking (****) Date 11-20-2015 02:16
Dang straight Hank.....

Hope it is all going your way bro....miss ya!!!
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Moderators Must Be Tired of Me