Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Low vision weldng: possible?
- - By Medcoguy Date 11-10-2015 04:31
I am considering a career in welding, but don;t have great eyesight,  I am completely blind in one eye so my depth perception is not as good as what most people see,  My :good" eye is not perfect either, I have problems seeing fine detail. Would this be a big hindrance to a career in welding? Thanks,
Parent - By CLH1978 (**) Date 11-10-2015 16:06
Hi Medcoguy.

Welcome to the AWS weld forum. Have you performed any welding or been around welding. The only way to know for sure is to try it. Find a buddy with a welder, try a demo at a weld supply shop, career fairs, local high or tech schools. I have worked or met with numerous people who have overcome all sorts of health issues and work in the welding field.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-10-2015 23:25
Medcoguy,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

It is absolutely POSSIBLE for you to weld and do it good.  It will definitely be a CHALLENGE but it is only a hindrance if you let it be.  It will mean more determination and practice time and patience will be the factors that determine if you can make it.

Now, your main decision to answer your question is what exact field within 'welding' do you want to go into?  Is there a particular process you would prefer: Wire feeds (FCAW, GMAW), stick (SMAW), TIG (GTAW), Submerged Arc (SAW), etc.  A particular industry: pipelines, structural, repair, pressure vessels, etc.

I ask because some of these will definitely be more of a challenge than others both for processes and industries.  And it will also determine how much money you are going to make.

Along with those: where do you live and are you willing to move for education and/or employment?  What kind of financial resources do you have for education/training?

These will get you started and with more info we may be able to give you some suggestions and guidance but ultimately it is up to you and you can accomplish most anything you put your mind to if you want it bad enough. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / Low vision weldng: possible?