Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BCUP-5 solder?
- - By Dualie (***) Date 11-11-2015 07:35
durning my bi millennial  fall cleaning of a a storage room here at the company i found 35lbs of BCUP-5 silver solder thats fairly oxidized and weathered.  It was stored in a dry environment but definitely not in a sealed container.   Probably been there for 25 years+ (the joys of being in the same location since 1952) is this rod useless?  it looks like silverware that's tarnished but not beyond polishing.

is it worth more than its 15% silver content?   I know new filler is around $58per lb at airgas but since i cant recall EVER brazing any brass in this shop and we're not an HVAC outfit i cant see this being any use to this organization.

since the new regime felt the need to reorganize the forums we lost our brazing and soldering forum so im putting it here.
Parent - - By fschweighardt (***) Date 11-11-2015 12:59
Don't know how bad the tarnish is, but your average HVAC guy would snap that up in a minute, depending on size.  I might try a piece in a bath/wipe with CLR for a bit and see how it looks. I highly doubt you have lost any measurable alloy content 

What size/shape is it?

A silver guy might give you 3-500$ for it, seems like you could sell it easily for $30-40/lb
Parent - By Dualie (***) Date 11-12-2015 04:00
took it to a refiner,  they're going to refine it and give me $12 per oz once its done.    it was flat 3/16"
Up Topic Welding Industry / General Welding Discussion / BCUP-5 solder?