Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Welding Procedure - Base Metals
- - By NickM Date 11-12-2015 05:06
Hi I have a question with regards to requiring different weld procedures for the same base material with different yield strengths.

For example if I have 4130 80Ksi and 4130 56 Ksi. Do I need to develop two different procedures, or will one work for both.

Thanks.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 06:22
Nick,

WELCOME TO THE AWS WELDING FORUM!!

Now, to accurately respond I should probably get your applicable code, process, and other essential variables in most any application.

But, I don't recall 4130 being in D1.1 so am ASSUMING you are not dealing with it. 

Next, I don't recall yield strength being an essential variable and is often quite different in materials in the same class range for WPS's. 

So, off the top of my head I would venture that the odds are both could be covered in one WPS but that is not a foregone conclusion based upon all the needed facts. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-14-2015 03:09
I agree with Brent. It is tough to provide direction without knowing the applicable welding standard.

Al
Parent - - By youngcwi (*) Date 06-21-2016 15:12
Hello experts,

I hope you can shed some light on the issue. I developed a WPS for GTAW (stringer and hot pass) and FCAW (fill and cap.) Code used was SEC.9  and the base material was 4130 to API 5L X70. We did have impacts so I created one WPS for 4130 to API 5L X70 (P1 G3) material and also created one WPS for 4130 to P1 materials when there is no impacts required. Now my question is, will I be able to weld 4130 to itself? I have looked at the code and I'm kind of confused. Being that the 4130 is an unassigned metal I'm not sure if I am qualified to weld 4130 to itself.  In QW-403.5 it says, "In addition, when base metals of two different PNumber Group Number combinations are qualified using a single test coupon, that coupon qualifies the welding of those two P-Number Group Numbers to themselves as well as to each other using the variables qualified."  So am I qualified to weld 4130 to 4130 or do I have to make a new PQR and WPS to do so? If you need any other additional info from my end please let me know, thanks.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 06-21-2016 16:21
Because the 4130 is unassigned, I believe you need to qualify 4130 to 4130. That being said, I believe there is an ASTM BM specification that includes a 4130 low alloy steel. Had you used it, instead of the unassigned variety, you would be all set.

Considering your situation, do you have any published mechanical properties for the base metal you are using? If not, what are you using to determine whether the procedure is acceptable?

Al
Parent - By youngcwi (*) Date 06-22-2016 14:46
I have the MTR's from the material supplier and compared them to the info i found online about AISI 4130 specification. I have found out from another member that I will have to do a separate qualification for an unassigned metal to itself per sec.9, thank you for the info.
Up Topic AWS.org / Forum News & Help / Welding Procedure - Base Metals