Not logged inAmerican Welding Society Forum
Forum AWS Website Help Search Login
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Company owner/welder Certs, WPS, Continuity logs etc...
- - By supermoto (***) Date 11-12-2015 14:44
I've got a friend who has been a welder and a fabrication/installer of a small shop and has been bidding on bigger and bigger jobs requiring "certified" welders.  What do most small companies do when the owner is also one of the welders along with a few employees do for his own WPQR and certifications? 

I know the that AWS doesn't reference "certifications" but reference WPQR and qualified and a simple Cert can be written referencing the WPQR and code/s and position/s, process/s, etc...

1. Does he sign a welder Certificate for himself?  Seems a like a conflict there.

2. After research of Continuity Logs, I see AWS references a "Period of Effectiveness" which is vague and doesn't necessary have much of a requirement other than engaging in welding every 6 months.  It seems if the job specs out welder continuity logs he would need to provide documentation of this, so who can verify the owner's continuity?  Can the owner sign his own log, does a CWI, does a random inspector/customer on sight/fab shop, what if the shop owner doesn't do any field work who can verify continuity?

WPS:

I haven't done much WPS writing, but it seems a little unclear as to contents and who can write the and approve one.

As far as content, essential variables are required but where do they come from, just everything listed in Table 3.8 Prequalified WPS Variables?

1. Where do Filler Metal and Process Parameters come from?  I was informed all this information should come from manufacturer.  If there are differences from various manufacturers such as ESAB and Lincoln's E7018-XXX whose is best/trumps or are they that close and shouldn't matter/
Parent - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-12-2015 16:24
For the WPS's

Do trials, find what works in production.  Then find the manufacturere spec that your parameters fit into.  Tighten parameters within the manufacturers ranges so that your welders/process is under control.  (This speaks to prequalified)
Parent - - By WeldinFool (**) Date 11-12-2015 19:26
Yes, we have also found that Manufacturer's recommendations vary greatly. What we have done is to start with what seems to be the most common recommendation, use it in the shop and tweak it until we are happy with it, and then write the WPS with this information noted as "Optimum Settings". We then include the full allowable range permitted by D1.1 and call it "Permissable Range". Seems to work for us...
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 11-14-2015 22:01
Sounds good to me.
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-12-2015 22:31
oh my
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2015 01:20
I'm still warming up to this...Or...maybe I'm still cooling off. 

Sometimes I can't tell the difference.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-13-2015 05:56 Edited 11-13-2015 05:59
Okay, lets see how I can break into this:

So, show me Continuity Logs in D1.1?  There is a big difference between a code clause that says a person cannot have a lapse exceeding 6 months of non use with a process and what and how many inspectors try to MANDATE as a Continuity Log signed off by themselves or other elite organization to prove continuity. 

Second, where does the code say the responsibility lies?  With the owner/fabricator/manufacturer. 

According to the code I don't need any elitist entity to qualify my welders, document my welders continuity, nor write my WPS's.  As Al has often stated, "The Janitor Can Do It"!  As long as he does it within the boundaries of the applicable code.  In small companies, as asked by the OP, that comes right back around to 'the owner' can do it.

What is the TPI's main indication, by code, that can be used for a requalification test?  Any indication that the skills are not as required to produce code compliant welds.  Be it only VT or several UT failures as well. 

A GOOD inspector will know within a few hours what kind of quality, or lack thereof, is able to be produced by each welder.

So, to the specific questions:
1) Yes, he can sign Certifications for himself.  Yes, there can be a slight conflict of interest but how do his welds look?  Are they passing UT?  This perceived conflict of interest is why I personally used outside inspectors to qualify myself and my son and sign the back of my cert for continuity every so often.  Kept it above board.  I went above and beyond the code to make sure no one could cry foul.  But it is not necessary and we can't demand it. 

2) Some overlap here so will continue; Yes, he can sign his own continuity log of whatever form he chooses.  I simply made a note on the back of my papers stating continued usage.  This all flows together with why Al and I and many others say you must qualify your own welders not take the certs from other jobs.  How do you know what has happened especially if those papers are several years old and are you willing to accept the liability for loss of skill from lack of use or improper previous testing so the person wasn't that good in the first place?  Once YOU have qualified them then it is easy to document continuity, as long as they work for you they are probably current.  Even if you don't update the log every 6 mo it is simple to catch it up or just issue a brief statement that they have been current ever since the original qualification.  Again, it is nice to see sign offs by other CWI's on jobs that document usage and the approval of others.  Even if it hasn't been 6 months, have the TPI sign your papers; owner or employee on the job.

Next, WPS's:  Yes, you're right.  ANYONE can write them.  Not rocket science.  But, I have found few who really knew what they were doing even of CWI's.  Way too many mistakes to be taken seriously.

I found B2.1 and other documents from AWS on WPS's to be very helpful in learning how to fill them out.  I believe one is 'the Professional's Adviser for Welding Procedures' or some such.  Several samples included to help.  D1.1 lays out the essential variables.  They can be a little tricky getting through the first couple of times. 

Some info comes from the labels on the electrode in use.  Some comes from other documents available from electrode manufacturers website on their products.  Often the confusion comes from mixing information that must be on PQR's when all you need is a simple Pre-qualified WPS.  You list an example utilizing SMAW: Getting your Classification and specification is easy for 7018 (no, not going to do it for you).  Amps, again, easy from their specifications.  They give you the amperage range for the various electrodes and sizes.  If you want to operate outside their pre-qualified ranges you need a PQR.  Otherwise, it's easy.  A lot of the blanks only need a dash or N/A with SMAW.  Volts are variable.  Travel speed, variable.  But, if you have a job with heat input restrictions then even this may be essential. 

You have to know the job and its' variables and requirements along with all the information on the electrodes to be used and the processes.  Just start at the top of the form and come down slowly and carefully filling in each applicable space. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 11-14-2015 22:41
Before posting this I read the controversy over continuity logs and like what I read as far as everyone in agreement that per AWS there is not defined log requirement.  A lot of these customers are asking for one and I told my friend to tell them to show where there is a requirement a code/spec/standard where he can comply.  Since AWS doesn't require them and if the work he will be performing will have a note in the specs stating welding to be "performed by a certified welder" or something about "welding being performed to AWS welding code" or some other vague spec lingo about welding he would like to try and go above and beyond the grey area.  By going above and beyond I said, as a CWI to let me write a couple of WPSs and proctor the welding qualification tests and do the bend testing per the requirements of D1.1 and D1.3 to cover thin to thick carbon steel. 

I also will make up a general magical "continuity log" that isn't ever required but also is so desirable for various customers.  Maybe some of the various county building codes require some sort of continuity log.

So just to prevent argument, which I wouldn't do based on nothing requiring most of it, I will create a log, WPSs, and Certs and signed by the owner for himself and his employees.  For right now he won't be doing large jobs when there will be actual welding inspectors, right now there are building inspectors that don't know anything about welding who ask for him to write a letter stating he is a certified welder and made some good welds or something like that.

A certification is just a written testimony of an individuals qualifications, so I don't see why the owner couldn't sign them along with maybe my CWI stamp and signature to help give a warm and fuzzy to a customer.

AWS B5.1 table 1 under Procedure qualification, #7 develop welding procedures, has an "X" under SWI not WI.  How much weight does this carry with AWS code and would that mean as a CWI, not a SCWI, I couldn't develop a WPS?  Or does this only apply to a PQR?  Seems to conflict with #6 since a WI or SWI are both allowed to review and approve welding procedures.

I have a copy of B2.1 and will go through it.  Thanks for everyones insight, it is always appreciated when someone takes that much time to cover these topics.  It shows great care and pride the industry.
Parent - - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-15-2015 13:58
B5.1 lists jobs that are expected of those at various levels.  A CWI is not EXPECTED to be able to produce a WPS but an SCWI is.  That doesn't mean he can't, just is not in his job description. 

But, he is expected to know how to read one to make sure the welders on the job are properly qualified for the work being done.

Yes, I keep and recommend having a form of record keeping that will satisfy all parties as to a continuity log.  But we need to break out of this mode of insisting on things that are not from the code, just some one's personal feel good system.

There are codes that do require a log and it does make SOME sense then to do it for all just to keep on level ground.

Not sure what the new D1.1-2015 may have to say in this regard. 

He Is In Control, Have a Great Day,  Brent
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-15-2015 20:44 Edited 11-15-2015 20:53
I'm going to play devil's advocate with you for a minute or two if you don't mind Brent.

B5.1 lists the job responsibilities each level of inspector should be capable of performing. As you pointed out, the CWI isn't expected to develop WPSs, but there is nothing stating he can't write WPSs.

Is the same true for the CAWI with regards to qualifying a welder? How about witnessing the welding of a PQR and recording the welding parameters used? How about other responsibilities that do not include a check mark that pertains to the functions a CAWI can perform?

Just thought I would muddy the waters for the heck of it.

With regards to the continuity record; while D1.1 makes no mention of it, I routinely cosign the back of the welder performance test record indicating the welds were made and were visually acceptable. I have a couple of test records that go back 20 years or more filling up almost every white space on the test record with my signatures as well as several other CWIs. It is more of a convenience than a code requirement.

Don't look to the new edition of D1.1 for help or to improve anything. If anything, they took a giant step backwards. They have to stop meeting in Denver. It is the only way I can fathom their revision that says it perfectly acceptable to weld over "residual" oil, water, paint, ...... They had to be eating spiked brownies when they voted on that one. Have you taken a look at the new FCAW classification system? That group must have been baking the brownies for the D1 committee. If I remember correctly, there are eleven elements to the FCAW classification system. In the case of the shielding gas there are about 10 different gas mixes that can be listed. I cannot believe anyone is going to be able to keep track of all the permutations that are possible or remember what the classification, when completely listed, means without a copy of A5.36 at their disposal.

Best regards - Al
Parent - - By supermoto (***) Date 11-20-2015 15:55
I guess I'll have to see what the 2015 D1.1 says about these "required" logs everyone wants their contractor to have whenever I get my hands on it. 

So, to my knowledge and what you are saying is that a CWI can write and approve the WPS?  It's when "developing" a WPS a SCWI is needed.  Writing and developing.....there are some grey areas there.
Parent - - By Lawrence (*****) Date 11-20-2015 16:28
If an SCWI were required to develop a compliant D1.1 procedure, I would wager that 99% of all WPS's used worldwide would be non-compliant.

As for the logs;  My opinion is that the written quality plan should have language that describes the manufacturers plan for welder qualification and keeping continuity records.  If this is logically established and available for audit, I see very few issues arising.
Parent - By supermoto (***) Date 11-20-2015 16:59
Well thats what I thought, but sometimes the obvious is just that.  Ive only met two SCWIs and read maybe one job posting requiring a SCWI.  It seems as if having a SCWI just isn't going to be very beneficial for yourself or a employer.  It may help getting a job if its between a SCWI and a CWI.

I agree, it should be a part of a quality plan.  My friend may not need a quality plan, but it sure wouldn't hurt and he can show how serious he is about quality and may get a bid over another company.
Parent - - By 803056 (*****) Date 11-21-2015 18:43
I'll go as far as to say there is a strong probability 90% of the WPSs used in industry do not fully comply with the requirements of the construction code. That is based on 30 plus years of writing and reviewing WPSs and PQRs.

Then again, any work instruction provided to the welder is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Al
Parent - By ctacker (****) Date 11-21-2015 20:45
I just received another doozy the other day, I'm still laughing at it. I'll try this weekend to let you all join in on my humor.
Carl
Parent - By welderbrent (*****) Date 11-20-2015 23:01 Edited 11-20-2015 23:04
Just to make sure we are talking the same thing, lets see if I can restate it and make sense:

A CWI CAN write a WPS, witness tests for welder performance and/or PQR's, etc but according to the qualifications in B5.1 it is not expected and mandatory that they be able to DO all of it.  They only need to know how to read one and make sure the welder is properly qualified and the WPS is being followed within its' tolerances.

A SCWI IS TESTED AND EXPECTED/REQUIRED to know how to write them out totally correct.   It is part of his job description.  They must know where and how to find all relevant information and get the needed essential variables all taken care of so that the work is completed correctly.  

It is not really a CWI nor an SCWI that APPROVES the WPS.  First it is the company owner doing the work.  Then, it is the EOR on the job who the WPS, WPQR (welder performance qualification record), and shop drawings are submitted to who is the final authority on accepting or rejecting the WPS. 

So, the mandatory per distinction in B5.1 is that the SCWI must be able to read and write while the CWI only need be able to read.  (Simplicity at its finest)

The CWI looks at them on site to make sure proper application and compliance is in place for the job.  Sometimes the engineer doesn't realize that while the WPS looks good on paper, the application is all wrong in practice/production. 

Now, many CWI's have plenty of knowledge and resources to help in the writing and development of WPS's with or without accompanying PQR's.   But it is like the janitor who knows how to lock up the building or even weld.  Not his job description but he can do it if needed.  But, then you have the welder, he better know how to weld.  It IS his job description. 

Last point, you don't NEED either of them.  But, if you want to make sure the outside contractor can definitely handle the job and you know you can't do it right in house, hire the SCWI for development of PQR's. 

Anybody can do it.  But only certain certified individuals are REQUIRED to be able to do it in order to get that level of certification. 

Clear as mud?

Brent
Up Topic American Welding Society Services / Certifications / Company owner/welder Certs, WPS, Continuity logs etc...